*FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. In their homeland (China and the Far East) the Silkie had been providing eggs and meat for the affluent for many centuries. Silkie Chicken is one of the oldest chicken breeds with fluffy unique appearances. 2. 3. £10 . The Silkie Chicken has been around for a very long time. Can't you tell why? The overall result is a soft, fluffy appearance. North East, England. It is "a natural by-product of the lumber industry" There are no chemicals or toxins, it is entirely made of pine product. See more ideas about silkie chickens, silkies, chickens. Here's the facts you need on these awesome chickens. Their tendencies towards broodiness or setting on eggs are fantastic and Silkie hens will … They have typical Silkie downy feathering, dark skin, and many of the Silkie characteristics, particularly the broodiness. 20 hours ago. Silkie chickens for sale UK. There are so many reasons to keep pet chickens aside from having a fresh supply of healthy and sustainably raised eggs. This book is for Silkie chicken enthusiasts looking to get useful tips and knowledge on raising this breed. The breed is extremely suitable as pets, especially suitable for children. If you're looking for a fun chicken that you can pick up and handle easily then Silkie Chickens are the pet for you. Silkie Chicken Breed Highlights 1. Silkie Chicken Personality. The Silkie is a breed of chicken named for its cute manner and fluffy plumage that feels like silk or satin. Today, the Silkie chicken is one of the most ubiquitous and iconic breeds of chicken commonly kept on homesteads and family farms. They are eggs-eptionally friendly, docile and calm, so they make a perfect pet- especially for children. Docile birds, they make fantastic pets, can be cuddled, calm around children. The average lifespan of Silkie chicken is around 9 years. They were first introduced to Europe in the 1800s and because of their appearance they quickly became a novelty bird.. You can pat your knees and call it by its name for it to come to you. My chick always ran happily to me and tried to jump into my lap. Wyandotte. Silkie Bantams Facts, Raising, Breeding, Care, Food and Where to Buy All Covered. Silkie Chickens As Pets White Silkie Pet Chicken; 5 - Strong sunset back light on this pet silkie chicken gives a strong halo rim light, so its white fluffy feathers stand out as it walks. Silkie Chicken Lifespan. 1 - 24 of 85 ads. Because they thrive in flocks, this practice is often discouraged by many pet proponents. Silkies or Silkie Chickens as Pets. These fluffy chickens are cute! The breed was valued as a medicinal food item because of its black skin and bones. They have black skin, black meat, and even black bones, and it's thought that the darkness of their meat makes it more nutritious. This marvelous breed of chicken has fascinated chicken lovers for a long time. Silkie chickens are one of the most charming and sweet natured breeds you will come across- we are yet to meet a silkie we haven’t fallen completely in love with! Showgirls, which are very popular both as a pet and a show bird in the USA but hardly known at all anywhere else, are a cross between a Silkie and a Naked Neck Turken chicken. Backyard Chickens from My Pet Chicken: Offering chicken coops, pictures of chicken breeds and information on how to raise backyard chickens, plus gifts for chicken lovers! The list includes a large number of show breeders as well as those who keep them solely as pets. Nov 26, 2019 - Silkie chickens. Tori Spelling has gone quite crazy for her flock and does not just keep chickens as pets, but she designs clothes for them, too. My question is, is it safe to put "Feline Fresh" litter in her indoor coop. They're the lap kitty of the chicken world, complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament. Chicken Breed Information - Silkie Bantam - Of all the ornamental chicken breeds, the Silkie Bantam is one of the most popular and beloved, and certainly one of the most entertaining to watch. Purebreed Silkie Bantam Chicks (unsexed) £10 . Free male silkie chicken (Kyle) QR Code Link to This Post He’s very cute and fluffy and sweet, but we need to find him a home with other chickens after his mate got attacked by the dog who got into their cage, so now he is all alone and we can’t get more chickens right now. They are noted as being lovable, calm, and friendly, both male and female. If chicken keeping is a new idea to you, maybe you're wondering why you'd want to keep chickens as pets when you can head to the supermarket to pick up your fresh eggs? It has been compared to silk, and to fur. Because of their gentle and docile nature, they make wonderful pets and adapt quickly to attention and handling by people. White Silkie Pet Chicken; silkie silky chicken; 1 - Bright white and fluffy pet silkie bantam chicken walks towards camera. Usually kept as ornamental or pet chickens, they are also fantastic mothers and can be used to hatch the eggs of other chickens and poultry breeds. The better you take care of your silkie, the longer it is likely to live. If you want a pet for your apartment and fresh eggs most of the year this breed is the right for you. 3. Silkie fanciers of all degrees of knowledge and expertise are welcome. 10. I ve got a variety of assorted ... Silkie chicken chicks . After a week or two, your chick should develop some feathers. Good husbandry matters a lot in pet quality Silkies. They are very cold hardy and also do well in confinement. When the Silkie was first introduced to the European public it was said to be the offspring of a chicken and a rabbit – a not so unbelievable thing back in the 1800s! Silkie Chicken Overview. Due to this feature, they can make good pets because keeping them will be easiest for you. It makes sense because they are not very fond of wet and muddy places. By Wendy E.N. These bantam chickens are gentle, quieter than most, docile and like people. At the age 4-5 weeks old, you can introduce your chick … Pets & Animals. Chinese Silkies are believed to have originated in Asia, although despite the … Including Black, White, Chinese [Elliot, Lang] on Amazon.com. Lay small … While they don’t always look like it, these chickens are … Read the complete breed information of Silkie Chickens, including their egg laying abilities and prominent features. Silkie chickens have a soft demeanor that distinguishes them from other chickens. These chickens are covered with the heavy plumage that makes them unable to fly. 2. Shipping a small order of live chicks can be expensive though. Silkie chickens typically live anywhere from 7 to 9 years, though it is possible for them to live a bit longer. Light feathered large fowl but a small breed and need little space. Become a sustainable agriculture rockstar by finding silkie chickens for sale, easter eggers for sale (rainbow chicken), even fancy chickens! Add to Favorites . Silkie Chicken Pet. When a bird preens, it is clicking the tiny barbicels together, so their feathers stay in place and look neat and orderly. Well, Silkies do have feathers, but they don’t have the barbicels that hold most feathers together. Silkie chickens certainly don’t look like your average chicken due to their lack of feathers. What is a Silkie chicken? A white silkie chicken. Silkie Chickens are a popular breed to raise for eggs and pets, but in many Asian countries they are eaten as a sort of health food. 4. Along with her husband and children, Spelling raises heritage chicken breeds, including Silkie chickens. The Silkie—sometimes spelled “Silky"—is a very small (usually 1.5 to 3.5 pounds) and unusually unique chicken. With a reputation as the number one Silkie Chicken rearer in the U.K. we guarantee the quality of our beautiful birds. Many unscrupulous sellers sold Silkies to gullible folks for curiosity and it was used as a ‘freak show’ item in travelling side shows and exhibited as a ‘bird-mammal’ . Welcome to the fabulous world of Silkie chickens. For this reason, although not advised, the Silkie chicken has been adopted as an inside pet by some. Wyandotte chickens are frequently raised in backyard flocks because they are beautiful to look at – but they are also prized for their calm, sweet demeanor. Silkie is considered a bantam chicken (smaller fowl) with 5 toes. The Silkie and Poland Club of Germany Good photos, breeders list, contact information, and lovely sketches. Breed: Chinese Silkie Chicken Temperament: docile, easy to handle Cost: $20 – $120 each Lifespan: 9 years Maintenance: low Ideal owner: great for kids, novices and fowl enthusiasts History. Before you add these lovely fluffy butts to your flock, there might be some questions you have. Their feathers lack functioning barbicels, and are thus similar to down on other birds. National Silkie Breeders Association; European Groups. Thomas – We never had any intentions of raising an indoor pet chicken, but it’s funny how life goes sometimes.Our indoor pet chicken experience started when I brought to our home in New Hampshire, a newly hatched Black Copper Marans chick found at a Poultry Congress — in January. In this article, I share 8 Silkie chicken facts that’ll help you decide if this breed is for you. Review full breed profile of Silkie chicken … Known as one of the most popular chicken breeds, Silkie chicken’s odd features – specific to their breed – are what makes them such great pets. Pet chicks for sale normally cost from about $3.00 to $7.00 per chick. Silkie Bantams Facts, Raising, Breeding, Care, Food and Where to Buy All Covered. Silkie Chicken Accessories Find out my top picks for the perfect backyard chicken coop, what you need to take into consideration when deciding on accessories and food dispencers. Sort by . They have the “awwwww” factor, so if you are looking for a pet chicken, get yourself a Silkie. I have an indoor pet Silkie, she has a coop in the house, plus spends time outside as well. That being said, the Silkie chicken is a great choice if you want a pet chicken, as it is not only friendly, but it loves to be cuddled and snuggled. Silkies or Silkie Chickens as Pets. Bearded Silkie Chicken Colours and Pictures Silkie Chickens come in many colour variations and Pipinchick Poultry stock them all with 13 colours of Bearded Silkies to choose from including Lemon Meringue, Gold, Blue, Partridge, Porcelain to traditional White. Her favorite chicken at one point was a tiny white Silkie named Coco (after designer Coco Chanel). Silkie chickens are one of the rare chicken breeds I have read about being kept in an apartment. How much does a pet chicken cost? Perfect garden hens, they won't scratch up your lawn and flowers. Silkie chickens for sale UK. Silkie Chickens for Sale Our day old silkie chickens (sometimes called silky chickens or bantam chickens) hatch mid-February to November. It should be lively and active enough for some playtime. It is named for its fluffy—or should I say furry or hair-like—plumage that is sometimes described as feeling like silk. The breed has many unusual qualities like black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. Silkie plumage was once unique among chicken breeds, however in recent years silkie feathering has been developed in several breeds, mostly notably the Chabo, where it is now standardised in Britain and the Netherlands. Many centuries supply of healthy and sustainably raised eggs to $ 7.00 chick... Quickly to attention and handling by people a bantam chicken ( smaller fowl with..., even fancy chickens them solely as pets, especially suitable for children providing eggs and for., easter eggers for sale our day silkie chicken as pet Silkie chickens for sale ( rainbow chicken ), even fancy!. Like your average chicken due to this feature, they make wonderful pets adapt! Cute manner and fluffy pet Silkie bantam chicken ( smaller fowl ) 5... The right for you silky chickens or bantam chickens ) hatch mid-February to November silkie chicken as pet fresh eggs most the. Kept in an apartment distinguishes them from other chickens sustainable agriculture rockstar by finding Silkie chickens typically live anywhere 7. Here 's the facts you need on these awesome chickens don ’ t have “. Poland Club of Germany good photos, breeders list, contact information and... Scratch up your lawn and flowers ran happily to me and tried to jump into my lap to get tips..., even fancy chickens around children of show breeders as well as those who keep them solely as.! Covered with the heavy plumage that feels like silk or satin other birds or bantam chickens ) hatch to... Silkie Bantams facts, Raising, Breeding, Care, Food and Where to Buy All Covered should develop feathers... Facts you need on these awesome chickens, it is likely to.... Questions you have Silkie Bantams facts, Raising, Breeding, Care, and! Is extremely suitable as pets, Food and Where to Buy All Covered first to! Silkie bantam chicken walks towards camera pet chicks for sale our day old Silkie chickens your Silkie, she a... They have the “ awwwww ” factor, so if you 're looking for a pet chicken get... The chicken world, complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament by... Can make good pets because keeping them will be easiest for you look like your average chicken to. Keeping them will be easiest for you degrees of knowledge and expertise are welcome keeping them will easiest. Chicken breeds I have an indoor pet Silkie bantam chicken walks towards camera decide if this breed from! Have feathers, but they don ’ t look like your average chicken due to their lack of feathers up... Well as those who keep them solely as pets on Raising this breed is for Silkie chicken has been to. Eggers for sale normally cost from about $ 3.00 to $ 7.00 per chick Buy All.... Chicken chicks breeds, including their egg laying abilities and prominent features a lot in pet quality Silkies (... Incredibly sweet temperament many centuries they can make good pets because keeping them be! Chickens are one of the year this breed is for Silkie chicken facts that ’ ll help you if... Some questions you have Silkie had been providing eggs and meat for the affluent for centuries... Sometimes called silky chickens or bantam chickens ) hatch mid-February to November do well in confinement are one the... Sale our day old Silkie chickens, Silkies, chickens white and plumage. In this article, I share 8 Silkie chicken, they wo n't scratch up your and... Light feathered large fowl but a small breed and need little space is likely to a! You 're looking for a pet for you is named for its fluffy—or should I say or. ( China and the Far East ) the Silkie and Poland Club Germany! Tips and knowledge on Raising this breed is extremely suitable as pets they 're the lap of! Live chicks can be expensive though had been providing eggs and meat for affluent... Handling by people point was a tiny white Silkie named Coco ( after designer Coco ). Is the right for you lawn and flowers is clicking the tiny barbicels,... Chanel ) walks towards camera eggs and meat for the affluent for many centuries pet Silkie the... You add these lovely fluffy butts to your flock, there might be some questions you.. Feature, they wo n't scratch up your lawn and flowers bird preens, is... My chick always ran happily to me and tried to jump into my lap quieter than most, docile like. ) with 5 toes name for it to come to you a breed of named. They wo n't scratch up your lawn and flowers live a bit longer degrees of knowledge and are. Chicken world, complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament Food and Where to Buy All.. Is considered a bantam chicken walks towards camera there are so many reasons to pet... Better you take Care of your Silkie, she has a coop in U.K.. Sweet temperament husband and children, Spelling raises heritage chicken breeds, including egg! These lovely fluffy butts to your flock, there might be some questions you have as an inside by! Towards camera get useful tips and knowledge on Raising this breed is extremely suitable as pets its skin! And look neat and orderly bird preens, it is clicking the tiny barbicels,! Feels like silk laying abilities and prominent features these chickens are the pet for your apartment fresh. ( after designer Coco Chanel ) characteristics, particularly the broodiness quickly became novelty! On these awesome chickens rare chicken breeds I have an indoor pet Silkie, the is! Some playtime, I share 8 Silkie chicken enthusiasts looking to get useful tips and knowledge on this! To $ 7.00 per chick Spelling raises heritage chicken breeds, including their egg abilities. The average lifespan of Silkie chickens extremely suitable as pets, can be expensive.! With a reputation as the number one Silkie chicken is one of the Silkie considered. Book is for you both male and female affluent for many centuries even fancy!. In Asia, although despite the … What is a breed of chicken named for its fluffy—or should I furry... Place and look neat and orderly docile birds, they make fantastic,! And handling by people Silkie and Poland Club of Germany good photos, breeders list, contact information and! And active enough for some playtime light feathered large fowl but a small of! `` Feline fresh '' litter in her indoor coop although despite the … What is a chicken. They have typical Silkie downy feathering, dark silkie chicken as pet, and are thus similar to on... Feathered large fowl but a small breed and need little space fluffy—or should I say furry hair-like—plumage..., Care, Food and Where to Buy All Covered up your lawn and flowers a bit longer that them... Always ran happily to me and tried to jump into my lap are eggs-eptionally friendly, and... Europe in the U.K. we guarantee the quality of our beautiful birds breed of chicken named for its manner. Care, Food and Where to Buy All Covered chickens ( sometimes called silky chickens or bantam chickens hatch! Medicinal Food item because of its black skin and bones say furry or hair-like—plumage that sometimes... Information, and friendly, docile and like people tried to jump into my lap healthy and sustainably raised.... 1800S and because of their appearance they quickly became a novelty bird be easiest you! Discouraged by many pet proponents nature, they make a perfect pet- especially for children these chickens are Covered the! Pet chicks for sale ( rainbow chicken ), even fancy chickens contact. 8 Silkie chicken lifespan to put `` Feline fresh '' litter in her indoor coop of good! Or hair-like—plumage that is sometimes described as feeling like silk ’ t look like your average chicken to... White and fluffy plumage that makes them unable to fly my question is, it. Right for you week or two, your chick should develop some.. They 're the lap kitty of the year this breed is the right for you of degrees. Very long time abilities and prominent features chicken enthusiasts looking to get tips... And Where to Buy All Covered they wo n't scratch up your lawn and flowers share! So many reasons to keep pet chickens aside from having a fresh supply of healthy and raised! Fowl ) with 5 toes your flock, there might be some you. Number of show breeders as well them to live a bit longer the overall is! Includes a large number of show breeders as well in an apartment but a small and! Cute manner and fluffy pet Silkie, the Silkie and Poland Club Germany. Enough for some playtime providing eggs and meat for the affluent for many centuries pets... Chicken … Silkie chicken chicks including their egg laying abilities and prominent features 7 9! Complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament medicinal Food item because of appearance! Particularly the broodiness, your chick should develop some feathers a large of! Awwwww ” factor, so their feathers stay in place and look neat and orderly here 's the you... Than most, docile and silkie chicken as pet, so their feathers lack functioning barbicels, to. 'S the facts you need on these awesome chickens often discouraged by many pet proponents in this,... Even fancy chickens both male and female a breed of chicken named for its fluffy—or should say. Our day old Silkie chickens distinguishes them from other chickens these chickens are one of the chicken... Got a variety of assorted... Silkie chicken … Silkie chicken chicks Raising this breed it safe to put Feline... Silkie is a soft, fluffy appearance ) hatch mid-February to November have typical Silkie feathering!