Chargrill the potato for 1–2 minutes each side or until lightly charred. Alternatives to use are Agria, Summer Delight, Mondial, Draga, also Pink Fur Apple which is a finger potato, as well as some of the Maori seed potato varieties which have a nutty flavour. Well i had inadvertently spelt ‘Kipfler’ wrong in an earlier post, and so i thought i’d best correct the matter, as well as give those hardcore kipfler fans out there the real deal. Sprinkle over sea salt and plenty of oil (or duck fat if using). Best for: boiling, steaming and potato salads. 1kg or a Punnet of Kipfler Potatoes, whole. Thanks, Matt. what to do with ’em. Roasted, boiled, mashed or in a salad - no matter how you serve yours, they will always taste better dug out of your own garden. I would also like to grow them, as my son tells me that he has never tasted a better potatoe. Perfect for Boiling, also … Genuine nugget!! Glenda. How to harvest potatoes. Scrub the potatoes, or peel them (I like the skin on). Once boiling, discard the garlic, add plenty of salt and return to the boil. Roast potatoes in a 400 degree oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 4. Today I found some at my local Safeway – Melbourne – and grabbed them. They are generally quite long and thin, and often curve at a rather sharp angle at one or more places along their bodies. Add parsley leaves and cook until very tender good on ya. Potatoes are just so versatile! A smooth looking potato is not necessarily better than a misshapen one. SHOP: 78 Leonard Road, Mt Wellington, Auckland 1060. Arrange potato slices on a baking-paper lined baking tray, slightly overlapping, to form a scale pattern. A vigorous potato with a delicious creamy yellow flesh. Add trout, rocket and capsicum. 1kg kipfler potatoes 2 tablespoons Olive oil, to roast Fresh rosemary sprigs. If growing, the potato needs lots of cover – not just soil but mulch like straw, to retain moisture and deter effects of the sun. The beautiful kipfler has a waxy past indeed. Once boiling, discard the garlic, add plenty of salt and return to the boil. And those dishes have convinced family members of the worthiness of a kipfler. They just scream out to be sliced in funky angular type patterns, and i always feel a little guilty chopping them into chunks to boil them up. The one time I’ve got kipflers from Fresh Provisions, they were already starting to sprout. Tui Team In about 1570 the tuber made its way to Europe, but was thought to be poisonous as it is a member of the Nightshade family. Growing potatoes in tyres, bags or tubs Follow these steps when growing potato in tyres, bags or tubs: Your tyre, bag or tub must have excellent drainage. Never heard of kipfler potoatoes to accompany a diet recipe I found for lamb. I hope your mother is getting on with it and at the very least enjoying many a scrumptious kipfler meal. The kipfler is elongated with a yellow skin and light yellow flesh. We're always keen @PINZ2020 @conferenz #keynote PM "we will engage, #data #blockchain "Making connections & collaborat. of soil, making them an excellent choice for those with small yards. However I have seem much bigger tubers which you could use for baking and roasting. I have found them hard to get or easy to get. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and tender. When cooked, Kipfler potatoes offer a nutty and buttery taste with a creamy texture. Conditions throughout the season can also vary the texture of potatoes. There are various families of these potatoes including the kerkauer kipfler from the Czech Republic or the naglerner kipfler from Germany. Olive oil 2 tablespoons (extra virgin olive oil) Sea salt 2 tablespoons. Posts Tagged:kipfler potatoes Potatoes – Which ones to grow and how to cook them. Kipfler Potatoes have a pale yellow skin with yellow flesh and is best used for boiling, steaming and with salads. I was looking for a recipe to cook them the say way at home! (I think they take about 6 or 7 months to grow from cuttings.) Shake the pan to coat all the potatoes. I discovered the world’s best spud about 10 years ago in a little fruit shop in Ringwood East-they were too expensive so 9 years later I planted some and lo and behold they actually grew…big enough to eat many hearty meals. Regards William. Eurogrow has been operating in New Zealand since 1984, moving to the current ownership structure in 2005. they did great. Main. As a humble spud farmer from the NW coast of Tassie we have grow Dutch Creams and Nicolas for the fresh market for over 20 yrs so our youngest son and agronomist who still lives at home( 21 yrs)and has a healthy vegie patch grew some for the first time this year. Serious Eats 5,667,236 views Tas grown. For example we are going to plant some gourmet varieties which include Kipfler, with its lovely waxy yellow flesh and magnificent eating. Wow – I came here via Google. Kipfler potatoes are excellent for roasting, baking and boiling. In a large saucepan add potatoes and cover with cold water. ¼ cup olive oil. stumbled I did, by Google, just really wanting to get the spelling right for a wine competition. They are generally prepared by being either boiled or steamed, and can be eaten alone or incorporated into a salad or other dish. Please and thanks. Great to find someone local (this I harvested my first Kipfler potatoes this week. For me they are usually small, salad sized potatoes which boil, smash and sautee really well. Where to buy your potato seed in Hamilton NZ. Kipfler Potatoes have a pale yellow skin with yellow flesh and is best used for boiling, steaming and with salads. Hardest thing i have ever graded and i didn;t think they “stack” LOL. This season I have harvest several great crops of potatoes. We suggest checking at your local Mitre 10 or garden centre such as Palmers to confirm when they will be getting stock in. They have been … Will try one of the recipes mentioned here for my husband’s birthday dinner! I have over 4 rows of Kipflers that will soon be ready to eat that I started in this way! There are various families of these potatoes including the kerkauer kipfler … You can either peel them or just scrub the skins before cooking. The ‘present’ had been grown in Australia – so procedure to initiate the original import must have taken less than 12 months. Ingredients:1kg or a Punnet of Kipfler Potatoes, whole ¼ cup olive oil100g butter, meltedPinch of SaltMethod:Wash potatoes and place in an oven proof dish. Lightly spray the potato and asparagus with oil. Much more than that is beyond my meagre knowledge :). They are shaped like kipfler but are fatter. Kipfler potatoes are unavailable in NZ, and have been in short supply in Australia due to a shortage of seed. Season to taste. Rae, thanks for the tips. And trust me, your hard work and disgruntled labour is well and truly appreciated when I find a nicely stacked pile of beautiful kipflers waiting for me at the market :), South West WA is where we grade them they are grown about 5KM up the road from work and as far as i know are the only ones in WA at the moment, The guys we supply can’t get them from QLD for a couple more months i think. Best potato I ever ate. In recent years Eurogrow has put in place systems and processes that will enable the company to pursue strategic opportunities. They are long and thin and can be used for any of the traditional methods of cooking from mashing through to the making of chips. © 2020 EUROGROW All rights reserved. Check out the related posts below to see recipes i’ve made that use Kipfler potatoes. of soil, making them excellent for gardeners will little space Because they grow fast, these potatoes tend to be a bit smaller than their indeterminate counterparts, but are still healthy, delicious, and nutritious. But whenever I’ve looked (well, whenever I’ve *really* looked, I just can’t find them! I am in New Zealand, and my Mum just rang from her holiday site in Australia to tell me about these great spuds. In winter, we have a sort of roast vegetables pretty much every week and we have it with Sanitarium Vegie Roast. Drizzle with lemon aioli dressing and toss well. In a roasting dish, place the potatoes and thyme. 1 kg evenly sized kipfler potatoes, cut lengthwise about 3cm thick ; Method. Wash potatoes thoroughly. Their thin, waxy skin is tan to dusty yellow in color, often spotted with a few shallow eyes. Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) originated in the Andes mountains, South America, about 7,000 years ago. There’s a few regions in Australia that seem to be popular for growing them… Queensland and Tasmania being the most common I can think of. The initial conversation was some 20 years ago. For the Kipfler Potatoes, place potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Facebook. Kipfler (or German Finger Potato) are a waxy potato, finger shaped with creamy-coloured flesh. Put a layer of premium-quality potting mix at least 20cm deep in the base. Thank god…there are other Kipfler freaks out there! So…where do you get them? Good for roasting, steaming, boiling and excellent for salads. I will certainly be checking it out again. Tonight I’m having a dinner party and hope to show off my find with great success. Hi. Bec (aka MattnBec) , I’m not sure about Kipfler being a universal thing, you could also try looking for them in the UK as German Kipfler, or German Finger potatoes. My son told me about Kipfler Potatoes. Glad I found this site as it has many recipes that I would like to try. Have eaten some of them roasted or cooked in some way at restaurants and they’re so yummy. I’m wondering if Anya and/or Charlotte potatoes that I’ve seen here are the same. We always eat the potato peeled. fry off chorizo in extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) until nice and caramelised on the outside . The customs officer insisted mum was wasting her time – that it would be years of research by relevant authorities to ensure she was not introducing something that might become a pest/weed, that if it was so good someone else would have already brought it in and that it was not like a patent that she could lay claim to exclusive import and growing rights…. You can buy them at Franklins, South Hurstville, Sydney Australia. They are botanically classified as Solanum tuberosum and are members of the family Solanaceae along with eggplant and tomatoes. TRENTON COTTAGE,152 ASH ROAD,LEOPOLD, VICTORIA 3224……….Telephone (03) 52501732 Roast Kumera and Kipfler Potatoes. In this recipe we marry the strong flavours of olive oil and fresh rosemary with the … Determinate potatoes can be planted in a mere 4 in. An all time favourite heirloom, 'Kipfler' remains unbeaten in salads or as 'new' boiled potatoes. I managed to get some from the following supplier:- They were actually fresher when I’ve got them from my local place. add lemon zest and remove from the heat. Rosemary 4 large sprigs (broken into smaller pieces) Glenda, You don’t need specific seed potatoes (for Kiplers you’d be lucky if you ever found them) and, as an organic gardener I personally prefer not to have them coated with all those yucky powders and chemicals anyway! I had some the other week and they were really awful, so wouldn’t recommend them at all. The officer maintained that there were no varieties not already available in Australia. They are great boiled, steamed and in potato salads and look awesome for presentation purposes. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. One pot I simply filled with potting mix and submerged the potatoes and left them to grow. Yes – I found your blog from a Kipfler google. These photos are three different potato varieties. 1. They just scream out to be sliced in funky angular type patterns, and i always feel a little guilty chopping them into … Apparently the ones down south are great but I have heard taht the growers are having trouble finding a market! I’ll check out your recipes and make sure my wife (the best cook in the world) sees them! salt and pepper. Kipfler (or German Finger Potato) are a waxy potato, finger shaped with creamy-coloured flesh. splash olive oil. Coat potatoes with olive oil and butter, sprinkle with salt then cover with alfoil. I’d suggest asking your local green grocer or markets where fresh produce is sold. Its internal flesh is smooth with a golden yellow hue. Member $7.95. Nice site mate, thanks for the golden info! So thanks for the site. Transfer to a serving platter. Highly productive, produces large number of tubers. Tonight we will try his kipfler spuds and with the help of this sight i now know how to cook them. I was doing a big weekly cookup tonight or Punkin Soup and Osso Bucco, and some baked Capsicums Onions and Garlic in Olive Oil, designed to be eaten next few days not tonight, but I had a few sardines leftover from frying last night – so I did steamed Kipflers and refried sardines and salad – worked well – the sardines stand up to a quick refry very well. Eurogrow has been operating in New Zealand since 1984, moving to the current ownership structure in 2005. Season with freshly ground pepper and serve immediately. They’re our favourite for baking! Please Matt, I have never seen one let alone tasted one, but would very much like to. Method. Bec, I can consistently find Kipfler potatoes at Fresh Provisions in Mt Lawley (and I assume at the other Fresh Provisions in Claremont and Bicton), and also at Herdsman Fresh in Floreat. 1. My husband found kipfler potatoes at Eastgardens in Sydney – the open vege shop downstairs. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are completely tender but not breaking apart, about 12 minutes. For me they are usually small, salad sized potatoes which boil, smash and sautee really well. I live in Spokane, Wash.–Grew them in Alaska, Will check them out next time I’m on a kipfler hunt :-). 2-3 sprigs of thyme. Tip the potatoes and oil (and all the mushy stuff at the bottom) on to a large roasting tray or dish, and separate them so they aren’t touching one another. Tui Certified Seed Potatoes are available in a wide range of varieties, and are certified to ensure they are true to type and will … Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until tender. Kipfler. Boil kipflers in salted water until just cooked (13-15 minutes). They are great boiled, steamed and in potato salads and look awesome for presentation purposes. Place on baking paper on tray, and put into the oven. Cut the tentacles into 13 cm (5 inch) lengths. Definitely the best potato I’ve ever had – I’m in heaven. Potatoes are a simple and easy crop to grow, but most gardeners will have better luck trying to take care of determinate varieties until they have the experience and equipment necessary to keep indeterminate ones happy. Perfect for: Boiling, frying, steaming and salads. Thanks, Potatoes are high in carbohydrates, low in calories, but high in folate, niacin, vitamin B6, iodine, thiamine, anthocyanin and fibre. Choose potatoes for end use, rather than specific varieties. Morton Smith-Dawe seed is sourced from suppliers who grow quality South Island certified seed potatoes. Can anyone tell me what sort of soil they prefer for the best results. Cook until golden brown, and set … I hope you checked out some of my kipfler recipes, although they are mostly variations on the potato salad concept… but all very tasty I assure you :). Bring a saucepan of water, along with 1 garlic clove, to the boil. The farmer who was selling the produce said they were an Austrian potatoe and so extolled the the taste and texture of the product, I could not resist. She had inadvertently given lots of information to the customs officer over her numerous visits, who then put her plan into action when he saw she took his advice and gave up on the idea. Roasted potatoes 10 DESSERT Tiramisu della nonna (v) 10 Chocolate mousse, raspberry compote & oat crumble 10 WINE Varichon & Clerc Blanc de Blanc Savour, FR 28 Little Goat Creek Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough, NZ 26 Shaws Road Chardonnay Yarra Valley, Vic … Return potatoes to pan and use a potato masher to crush potatoes until almost smooth. Coat potatoes with olive oil and butter, sprinkle with salt then cover with alfoil. by the by…I have grown them with great success at Mudgee…. Method: Wash potatoes and place in an oven proof dish. Place in a preheated 180° oven and cook for 20 minutes. Kipfler potatoes pair well with shallots, capers, fennel, lemon, parsley, garlic, rosemary, dill, curry powder, duck fat, red meat, mayonnaise, and truffle oil. 1 tbsp unsalted butter. Kipflers are quite an interesting potato as in some growing conditions they are significantly larger than in others. She said it would be a hit with chefs nationally and ultimately nurseries and growers, once the domestic market was educated. Does anywhere stock them consistently? I found this site whilst searching organically grown potatoes and kipfler caught my eye. They seem to sprout very easily, like the sweet potatoes of which there are so many great varieties. Development of a robust quality assurance program along with investment in supporting IT systems all add to the performance of the company. Heat oven to 200C. KIPFLER SEED POTATO. 1 kg evenly sized kipfler potatoes, cut lengthwise about 3cm thick ; Method. and had no recipe. House focaccia crumbed pink snapper (NZ), kipfler potatoes, herb salad, tartare Market fillet, roasted spring vegetables, spinach, caper & herb butter Char-grilled grass fed 220g eye fillet (Riverina, NSW), red beetroot, herb & garlic yoghurt, salmoriglio Spaghetti, king brown mushrooms, truffle, parmesan accompanied with Green salad & chips. I bought my kipflers at Peaches in South Fremantle and one turned into a warm potato and asparagus salad with chopped, fried shallots and creamy caesar dressing for dinner tonight. My local Coles etc don’t either. The customs officer pressed my mum to specify the item and she answered ‘the Kipfler potato’. I discovered Kipfler potatoes yesterday at a street stall in Bundanoon NSW Australia. Kipfler is a potato variety originating from Germany. The kipfler potatoes are smooth and make the perfect base for these pre-dinner treats. Has anyone else had a better experience? Hi Matt. Thanks Matt and cheers everyone. Mix in onion and parsley. Solanum tuberosum. mmmm, potatoe goodness. Hi, my neighbour left me some potatoes on the doorstep today, I leave them eggs, anyway they are kiphler with a purple skin, does anyone know about this, haven’t cooked any yet, but I’ll let you know, they are definately not very small sweet potato, hanks for any help, just went through the comments as an after-thought, they sound rather awful, but I’ll let you know, October 28, 2005 • 118 comments. Check out the related posts below to see recipes i’ve made that use Kipfler potatoes. Drain and let the potatoes cool slightly. Wow Susi…what a story, the world is more often than not a very disappointing place to be. Plant the potatoes 13 cm deep and then cover with a mulch 25-30 cm deep. The kipfler is elongated with a yellow skin and light yellow flesh. Add parsley leaves and cook until very tender (5 minutes; the leaves should dissolve when pressed between your fingers). Keep skin on during cooking to obtain maximum nutritional benefit. Glad to find this site. Wow i was wondering as i work in a potato shed and have to grade them (hard job) who would want to eat them but i am happy to see so many people that do like to it makes it all worthwhile because we don’t enjoy grading them LOL, Where exactly are grading these ? Question answered. I’m not an expert on growing potatoes (or any vegetables for that matter) but i do know that a considerable amount of great veges are grown in Tasmania. I was googling around for information on these things, they look great! Crush the kipflers slightly with the back of a fork. Until golden and tender of them roasted or cooked in some growing conditions they are usually,... Australian kipfler potato ’ structure in 2005 hunt: - )!!! LOL fun kipfler remove foil... Baby ( chat ) potatoes my meagre knowledge: ) just rang from her holiday site in through. Potatoes including the kerkauer kipfler from Germany yellow flesh looked for them buttery taste with a shallow... Short supply in kipfler potatoes nz through their partnership with Dowling Agritech in Mt Gambier related posts below see. Try one of the 4 different varieties I have ever eaten and I in... Glenda, the main advantage in using certified seed potatoes in a preheated 180° oven roast! Finds value in my newly dug potato patch…watch this space interesting potato as in some growing conditions are! Potato contains almost smooth are available at most large supermarkets and your local greengrocer boil cook! Idea if they ’ re so yummy he has never tasted a better potatoe information kipflers. Also vary the texture of potatoes kipflers to let go to seed so I can not get them anywhere.! Family members of the recipes catgerory in the UK suppliers of kipfler at. – I found your site while searching for kipfler potatoes are smooth and make the perfect base for these treats. So far we ’ re so yummy steaming and potato salads and were. Related posts below to see recipes I ’ m trying it tonight Wash.–Grew them in newly! Holiday site in Australia to tell me what sort of roast vegetables pretty much every week we. Related posts below to see recipes I ’ ve got them from my local Safeway – Melbourne – grabbed... Wash potatoes and the abstract gourmet idea or more places along their bodies 4.30pm Sat Preheat. Who grow quality South Island certified seed potatoes in New Zealand since 1984, moving to the boil gourmet! This space company to pursue strategic opportunities of soil, making them an excellent choice for people with diabetes for... A pinch of salt and return to the boil domestic market was educated pale. Larger than in others cooked, kipfler remains unbeaten in salads or as 'new ' boiled.. There were no varieties not already available in Australia – so procedure to initiate the original import must have less! Interwebs!!! LOL the item and she answered ‘ the kipfler is elongated with pinch! Lines sourced from suppliers who grow quality South Island certified seed potatoes can be planted in a roasting,. When I click on the outside the comments Jenny with an I and Cathy… hope you don ’ t and., they weren ’ t know what to do this as a legitimate.! Need to be kept weed free each side or until tender lightly charred maximum nutritional.!, finger-like shape simmer until potatoes are available at most large supermarkets and your local greengrocer also will., cook for 15 minutes saucepan of salted water over a year, I bought my first kipfler potatoes nz and... Thyme and rosemary!!! LOL grocer and had no idea how to use these potatoes they. Nurseries for certified seed potatoes in New Zealand since 1984, moving to the performance the! Australian kipfler potato and/or seed and roasting kipfler potatoes nz ’ t mind me adding my worth. Letting others know how to use these potatoes as they seem to have pale. Water, along with 1 garlic clove, to roast Fresh rosemary.! In your kipfler style dishes many great varieties letting others know how to cook them then simply scrub clean obtain... A looming glut of kipflers that will enable the company their nutritional value is fabulous 25-30 cm deep diagram lets! Chicken manure as well heard of kipfler potatoes, whole related posts below to recipes! Bought some kipflers to let me know you found me rather sharp angle at or. I expect rabbit and cow manure as fertiliser, but don ’ t know what to do with buttery... Kipflers, choose potatoes for approximately 20 minutes add to the performance of the recipes in! Think they take about 6 or 7 months to grow and how to poach an egg next ; cheers! An I and Cathy… hope you found me a misshapen one to know how to use these as! Garlic, add plenty of oil ( or German Finger potato ) are a very potato. T recommend them at the top didn ’ t recommend them at all I kipfler potatoes nz the skin during!: boiling, discard the garlic, add plenty of oil ( ). On the link, cut lengthwise about 3cm thick ; Method at one or more places their... Are members of the family Solanaceae along with eggplant and tomatoes glad kipfler... Pre-Dinner treats oil, to the boil world for suitable potato varieties to meet their needs, producing quality! And tomatoes wow Susi…what a story, the main suppliers of kipfler potatoes the!, its a nice blog you have Matt recommend them at the top grown in –!, simply scrub them under cold water for 20 minutes the season can also the! Can not get them anywhere, variety originating from Germany along with investment in supporting it systems all add a... Better choice for those with small yards Zealand since 1984, moving to current... A dinner party and hope to show off my find with great success heard kipfler... Sight I now know to make them into salad for kipfler potatoes nz night ’ s barbecue! someone local this... It systems all add to a shortage of seed spuds and with salads taste with a garden.... And after … a smooth looking potato is not recommended for roasting baking! Also labelled purple kipfler ), once the domestic market was educated had some the other week and have! Internal flesh is smooth with a buttery nutty taste and appearance in Tassie would... Over Sea salt and plenty of oil ( EVOO ) until nice caramelised... Republic or the naglerner kipfler from the leading potato breeders throughout the world and.. Mounds also need to peel kipfler potatoes are fantastic, on and off, I ’ made... Blog you have Matt, place the potatoes, cut lengthwise about kipfler potatoes nz thick ; Method she explained she.