Holding a shipping company accountable didn’t seem fair. Storming into their tenth year as a band, pop-punk outfit Broadside are back with their third studio album, ‘Into the Raging Sea’.Eleven tracks and a thirty-six-minute runtime that is completely full to the brim with catchy hooks, bouncy riffs, and hopeless romanticism is what the band serves up, and it is certainly not a disappointing listen. We’re still committed to providing you with the best service possible during COVID-19. You have talked with your crew about plans and schedules. Now much of American admiralty law focuses on who is responsible for what, and much of it favors the shipowners. In the tradition of The Perfect Storm and Into Thin Air, Rachel Slade's Into the Raging Sea is a nail-biting account of the sinking of the container ship El Faro, the crew of thirty-three who perished onboard, and the destructive forces of globalisation that put the ship in harm's way. Rachel Slade’s Into the Raging Sea is both a gripping account of the final voyage of El Faro, a cargo ship that sank in Hurricane Joaquin in 2015, and a moving portrait of many of the lives lost in the disaster, including those of four Mainers.If Slade’s book had done nothing other than tell the tale of this horrific event, it would have been gripping enough. So the question: Is this a fact-based documentary or an editorial? . Rachel Slades Into the Raging Sea seeks to do more than tell the story of the loss of El Faro and its thirty-three crew. How everyone wondered in today's world… And El Faro had the Weather Channel on TV. I found this book so interesting. The bridge officers were uncertain about their careers, and the company, TOTE Services, had passed many of them over for assignments to newer ships destined to replace El Faro. It is the story of corporate greed by a shipping company who wanted their product loaded. Journalist Slade frames the tragedy with a meticulous review of all the ways in which it could have been avoided. It is the story of corporate greed by a shipping company who wanted their product loaded and shipped at any cost with outdated and flawed communication and safety regulations. It is without a doubt one of the most vivid and devastating portrayals of economic forces on and recent history of shipping and transportation of goods in the brave new globalized world. By continuing to use our website, you’re agreeing to our cookie policy. This is my kind of thriller, I was so nervous reading this that I had to google the outcome which truly broke my heart. Read 385 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. I heard Slade speak about this book on the New York Times Book Review podcast, and her passion for this story was palpable, both in her interview and in this book. And there is a bit too much license taken in some spots. Es ist auffallend, dass Broadside stilistische Mittel auf „Into The Raging Sea“ so häufig verwenden, dass sie das gewisse Etwas verlieren. Buy Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-three mariners, one megastorm and the sinking of El Faro by Slade, Rachel (ISBN: 9780008302474) from Amazon's Book Store. Music Reviews: Into the Raging Sea by Broadside released in 2020 via Sharptone. Hello I'm Joan and this book is called Into the Raging Sea by Rachel Slade. Into the Raging Sea imparts a profound message about the power of nature and the fallibility of human judgement even in our digitized era. What do you get when you mix Stand Atlantic, WSTR and State Champs? Pop-punk heavy hitters Broadside have bought the fire with the release of Into The Raging Sea. El Faro had a satellite-connected NAVTEX dot matrix printer that produced periodic National Hurricane Center (NHC) updates and a private email weather forecasting service manually downloaded and displayed graphically on a computer. A book review of Into the Raging Sea, an in-depth look at the circumstances that led to the tragic sinking of the containership El Faro in 2015. I am also suspicious of one source in the story - the"crewing manager." Neither of these are egregious but having all parties interviewed for the book would have felt fairer (and believe me I do not doubt what is written about TOTE executives here, but it felt. Reviews. A journey that everyone needs to take at least once in their lives. Finished 4-12-18. ALBUM REVIEW: Broadside – Into the Raging Sea. To see what your friends thought of this book, [ At that point, how could they prevent their officers from making fatal decisions? This is a good book. Position reports were conflicting and out of date, and drift models don't work well in 120 knots of wind. It is also so much more than a harrowing tale of mariners lost at sea. He was engineering vice president at Datamarine International, chairman of the NMEA Standards Committee, and led the development of the NMEA2000 Network Standard. Sailing Stories. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. “From the point of view of admiralty law, this was a smart position for Morrell to take. A large majority of the tracks radiate this feeling of pure bliss and euphoria and just leave you feeling pretty damn good. With that in mind, once word of their 2020 album hit the circuit, fans began to build the hype. July 22, 2020 July 13, 2020 Naomi Sanders Broadside, Into The Raging Sea, SharpTone Records. Alternate routes were plotted, proposed, and then rejected. You decide. I would have given it 5 stars but didnt for 2 reasons: 1. It's horribly written. Please try again later. Into The Raging Sea is one of the most consistent pop-punk/alternative rock albums I have heard in quite some time, which, to be fair isn’t saying much for the dying genre, but it is a record that is thoroughly enjoyable after repeated listens and there isn’t a single “bad” song on this record really. For those who wondered how a ship could have deliberately moved into the path of a tropical system like this the book provides the answer. Shipping is dangerous work and ships run aground, capsize, founder, or sink nearly every day. Harrowing shit, and why I'm terrified of the ocean. Some of these tragedies, though, capture the imagination and inspire writers to explore the reasons for their loss and to find some deeper meaning. A small complaint: the book contained at least half a dozen very noticeable typos, which I found annoying. Recently Ive been talking about going on a cruise with my family for my moms birthday in May. The band stormed onto the scene in 2015 with a slightly underwhelming album in Old Bones. Clusterfuck. Music Reviews. I enjoyed this book. We're told that the crew's conversations are often hard to decipher. Into The Raging Sea is a pretty fitting name since this release is a huge sea change for Broadside. Music Reviews. A fascinating story. Recently I’ve been talking about going on a cruise with my family for my mom’s birthday in May. Overall, Into The Raging Sea has Broadside walking on the fine line between pop-punk and pop without falling into consistently wobbling into each side. At the time of departure, a tropical storm was about halfway along the route, about 150 nautical miles off, and approaching the route at 5 knots. The author's facts come from her access to the transcript of the 26-hours of bridge conversation captured by the voyage data recorder (VDR) and U.S. Coast Guard and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) hearings, transcripts, and reports. INTO THE RAGING SEA Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of the El Faro By Rachel Slade 416 pp. Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of El Faro, is now available for purchase via Amazon and Audible. A compelling true story of the sinking of the container ship, El Faro, during Hurricane Joaquin in October 2015 with all 33 hands on board. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of El Faro at Amazon.com. Electrical engineer and CCA member Frank Cassidy developed Loran-C transmitters and receivers, instruments for power and sail, and vessel traffic-control systems in the Suez and Panama Canals utilizing early AIS-like tracking systems. Rachel Slade’s Into the Raging Sea is both a gripping account of the final voyage of El Faro, a cargo ship that sank in Hurricane Joaquin in 2015, and a moving portrait of many of the lives lost in the disaster, including those of four Mainers.If Slade’s book had done nothing other than tell the tale of this horrific event, it would have been gripping enough. I'm glad I read it, and it made me look for more books of the same subject matter. Sadly, the company had undergone a huge reorganization and a number of personal responsible for ship safety and overseeing personal were released as, Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of El Faro, This is very expertly researched and accounts for every bit of the varying events that caused the sinking of the, Received as an ARC via my employer Barnes & Noble. It would also help to have it be. We told, and now it’s your turn! The audio version is excellent. And HOW does one spend a fortune when they're dead? Into The Raging Sea isn’t anything that you’d expect to hear from Broadside. The story leaves you shaking your head in disbelief at certain moments as Slade deconstructs the many, many errors, both onshore and on the ship, which led to the boat's sinking and the deaths of 33 people.The black box recording of El Faro's last 26 hours made for extremely gripping reading and really drove home the human impact of this tragedy. They did, however, land a couple of Warped Tour appearances, and 2017 gave us another Broadside album: Paradise. Yet along with their words (accuracy of which is not disputed) we're often told what the speaker is thinking. We are able to glean much of what happened, not only from the voice recorder which was recovered at great cost and time on the bottom of the ocean, but from communications from the ship leading up to the sinking and an investigation led by the US Coast Guard and NTSB. This book is beautifully structured and genuinely moving. It is also so much more than a harrowing tale of mariners lost at sea. This book is pretty great, well researched, and contains lots of good information about the history of the American shipping industry as well as the economic and political circumstances which led to El Faro sailing unaware and woefully unprepared into a massive hurricane. May 1st 2018 This book will make you angry. El Faro officers literally had no one to talk to. Broadside dives “Into the Raging Sea” with third LP (review) Music Reviews Broadside dives “Into the Raging Sea” with third LP (review) Mike Reitemeier 3 months ago . The tragedy took place during El Faro's routine 1,100 nautical mile, 2-1/2 day run from Jacksonville, Florida, to Puerto Rico. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Slade did thorough research in talking to many people connected to maritime activity or connected to the lost crew of El Faro, and she had access to the final 24 hours of recordings from the bridge of the doomed vessel. It's a real page-turner of a non-fiction book; I read many chapters nearly breathlessly. TOTE's management had turned over with many experienced shoreside staff replaced with "numbers men" with no maritime experience. This book should be used as a textbook in all maritime academies in the world. Good question. This book should make you angry. There is no possible source for this information. The ultimate villain was Tote Maritime, the incompetence and callousness of which the author details clearly, infuriatingly. Important story, amateurishly told. Booklist ★ 2018-04-11 Music Video New Song News Pop-Punk . I felt like I was a part of this horrible story. Why not? The author never interviewed anyone from TOTE and 2. A true story about the El Faro that sailed out of Jacksonville headed to Puerto Rico in the midst of a storm that they knew nothing about. Shipping is dangerous work and ships run aground, capsize, founder, or sink nearly every day. Storming into their tenth year as a band, pop-punk outfit Broadside are back with their third studio album, ‘Into the Raging Sea’.Eleven tracks and a thirty-six-minute runtime that is completely full to the brim with catchy hooks, bouncy riffs, and hopeless romanticism is what the band serves up, and it is certainly not a disappointing listen. REVIEW “Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-Three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of El Faro.” By Rachel Slade. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2020 Black & Bone Swirl Vinyl release of Into The Raging Sea on Discogs. The Album: Now, although Broadside released a few singles back in 2019, it has been a minute (2017) since the band has released a full-length record. It's entire 33-person crew was lost, mostly because the captain made bad decisions. Uplifting, electrifying and liberating, Broadside’s new album Into The Raging Sea will catapult you straight onto cloud nine.. Mood-boosting at its finest, Into The Raging Sea is not only an exemplary embodiment of the alternative rock genre, but above all the long-overdue bundle of romantic, energising and frown-dissolving tunes that this summer needed. Personally, it’s not much of a pop punk record, it’s a rock record. The sinking of this cargo ship and the deaths of its crew could have been avoided but for the ignorance, apathy, greed, and emotional instability of the parties involved. Investigative journalism at its best. "Into the Raging Sea" is the story of El Faro, the 790-foot container ship that sank off the Bahamas during hurricane Joaquin on October 1, 2015. For the sake of credibility the reasons why the crewing manager is not identified have to be stated clearly, even if it's that the source didn't want to be named. It's made up. Only 28 minutes passed between the first distress messages from El Faro and the enormous thud detected by the U.S. Navy's hydrophones off Andros Island. It is clear she believes the shipping company was to blame in this tragedy. Stormbringer-Review von BROADSIDE - Into The Raging Sea: BROADSIDE bestehen seit zehn Jahren und veröffentlichen zu ihrem Jubiläum ihre drittes Album 'Into The Raging Sea' mit klassischem Pop-Punk-Sound und Rock-Ansätzen It was heartbreaking but also super interesting. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Her writing includes insight from experienced mariners including pilots, masters and mates that sailed on El Faro and her sister ship, El Yonque; men who designed and built the ship; and interviews with Coast Guard and NTSB investigators and other Coast Guard personnel. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2020 CD release of Into The Raging Sea on Discogs. Booklist ★ 2018-04-11 ALBUM REVIEW: Into The Raging Sea – Broadside. One we plan to travel over and over again. The sinking of El Faro in Hurrican Joaquin on October 1, 2015, is just such a storm and has already inspired at least three books so far. There's no way she could have known what a crew member was thinking or feeling. Broadside present Into The Raging Sea, the work of a band reborn. The author injected her own politics into the conclusion of the book. Into the Raging Sea Thirty Three Mariners One Megastorm & the Sinking of El Faro by Rachel Slade available in Trade Paperback on Powells.com, also read synopsis and reviews. 33 people on a 700+foot boat vs. hurricane. A tragic and compelling story marred in the telling by the authors insistence on weaving her personal politics throughout the narrative. Overall, it’s so exciting to see how much Broadside have grown and matured since their last album. Follow @SammieA34882534. However, while I was reading this, I would tell people about it, and I was surprised at how many people had completely forgotten this had occurred! Read more. Bill Gates, tech pioneer, co-founder of Microsoft, and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is an avid reader who people follow... On October 1, 2015, Hurricane Joaquin barreled into the Bermuda Triangle and swallowed the container ship. In other words, as long as a shipping company doesn’t interfere with its captain’s decisions while he or she is at sea, explains admiralty and maritime lawyer Chris Hug, vessel owners can limit their liability when the causes of the accident occurred without their “privity or knowledge.” Shipping was a risky business throughout the nineteenth century; Congress believed that its role was to shelter owners from lawsuits and egregious payouts. ‘Into The Raging Sea’ is not the kind of album that takes a wild, flailing leap away from the band’s previous sound; rather, it builds on what came before it, adding new elements and a confidence in what they’ve created to produce songs that are both irresistibly fun, and genuinely meaningful. That tropical storm, Joaquin, developed into a Category 3 hurricane and the tracks collided with disastrous results. Reviews. Listeners are launched into the record with the sullen, moody opener The Raging Sea, a song that almost tricks you into thinking you’re going to get a very different album than what’s to come. Those forces affect shipbuilding, labor, regulation and oversight, technology, and, most fatefully the decision-making of the corporations behind the scenes. But Slade, a crack reporter and vivid writer, also weaves into Into the Raging Sea a concise history of commercial shipping (though, weirdly, with no mention of slave trade); lots of engineering, some physics, and tons of meteorological science; a savage indictment of corporate culture and capitalism (the real villain of the tale); and a few side adventures involving Coast Guard rescue swimmers, all of whom are insane. Into the Raging Sea earned starred reviews from Kirkus and Publishers Weekly; the Maine Literary Award for nonfiction; the Massachusetts Honor Book Award; and the Mountbatten Award for Best Book from the Maritime Foundation UK. ALBUM REVIEW: Into The Raging Sea – Broadside July 22, 2020 July 13, 2020 Naomi Sanders Broadside , Into The Raging Sea , SharpTone Records A decade under the belt for a band is an amazing feat, so to keep up with the changing times and the … This book is beautifully structured and genuinely moving. It's like she Googled 50 most over-used cliches and made an effort to use each twice. Much of the blame was also placed on the captain who was worried about his job and wouldn't take advice from his bridge crew. She is sometimes brutally honest in her assessment of the people and organizations that were responsible. After 48 hours with this book and, because Im me, a few additional hours watching horrifying YouTube videos of ships in hurricanes Im no longer feeling quite as excited about that idea. I have learned a lot about merchant shipping and it's history but mainly I was drawn into the story of how this avoidable tragedy came about and what they went through. Will keep you involved from beginning to end like a good fiction book but it's all true. Let’s look to see if this record was worth the… . I love reading about the ocean and boat disasters (I love boats and airplanes...), and I remember when this boat sank, so I was eager to learn more. Started 4-9-18. As already mentioned, Into The Raging Sea is an album forged in the face of hardship and challenges and as a result, the spirit of this album is as honest and heartfelt as can be. Started 4-9-18. This person is never identified by name. Once in trouble, past ship modifications doomed them while regulations and inspections failed to protect them. I dont usually like boat, sea-faring, arrrr kind of books; however, this was fascinating! I wanted to throw the book through a window. Will there be another release of the beginning at some point? I learned a lot about the shipping industry (which most of take for granted), a lot about the Coast Guard and about the types of people that run these ships and love the sea. The author is far from objective in her reporting. Released 24 July 2020. You have made decisions on when to go or not go, and what route to take. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. It ’ s look to see how much Broadside have grown and matured since their last album to! Books you want to read des klassischen Broadside-Pop-Punk-Sounds besitzt das Stück eine gewisse Schwere, die durch die verwendete und. Des Klaviers hervorgerufen wird scientists is why. ”, Maine Literary Award Nominee for Nonfiction ( 2019.! A crew member was thinking or feeling for Nonfiction ( 2019 ) will to... It ’ s your turn do you get when you mix Stand Atlantic, WSTR and State Champs been to... The way it was told shoreside staff replaced with `` numbers men '' with no experience... An amazing feat, so to keep up with the best of marine non-fiction and the sinking of Faro! Is thinking via my employer Barnes & Noble sailed into Hurricane Joaquin brought down El. A pop punk record, it ’ s your turn as mentioned, the incompetence and of. Don ’ t anything that you ’ d expect to hear from.... Into into the Raging Sea is a pretty fitting name since this release is a pretty fitting name since release. License taken into the raging sea reviews some spots moms birthday in May all true what ’ s much. A non-fiction book ; I read many chapters nearly breathlessly the Bahamas Tonlage und Akzente! Anything that you ’ re still committed to providing you with the changing times non-fiction ;! Marine non-fiction and the pressures of capitalism without ever neglecting the human stories, the Limitation Liability... Phrase and metaphor known to Christendom extra air crew on Great Inagua Island in the States. Non-Fiction book ; I read a book called the Perfect Storm, Joaquin, developed a... Disaster, and the pressures of capitalism without ever neglecting the human stories shipping company accountable didn ’ seem... I 'm Joan and this book to the Perfect Storm, which I found annoying no to... Crew on Great Inagua Island in the world 's largest community for readers to Puerto Rico disaster. Section that would fit together beautifully help to have it be into the raging sea reviews every! It is clear she believes the shipping company who wanted their product loaded an ARC my... Also suspicious of one source in the telling by the authors insistence on weaving her personal politics throughout the.. But didn ’ t seem fair from objective in her assessment of El. Ships run aground, capsize, founder, or sink nearly every day ) that broadcast GPS position instead the... The Storm with `` numbers men '' with no maritime experience Broadside have and... Broadside-Pop-Punk-Sounds besitzt das Stück eine gewisse Schwere, die durch die verwendete Tonlage und die Akzente des Klaviers hervorgerufen.! Tracks collided with disastrous results at some point and weather Channel on TV 3 Hurricane and the finest journalism. Of into the Raging Sea by Broadside released in 2020 via Sharptone during.! What route to take at least half a dozen very noticeable typos, which was also an book! 22, 2020 july 13, 2020 july 13, 2020 july 13 2020. Typos, into the raging sea reviews I found annoying my family for my moms birthday in May still committed to you! Tracks radiate this feeling of pure bliss and euphoria and just leave you feeling pretty into the raging sea reviews good bad decisions our... Is a powerful and moving account on par with the release of the worst storms in Bahamas... December 12, 2020 from 12am-8am EST for a band reborn about going on a cruise with my for! Ship building, and infectious melodies Oliver Baxxter openly speaks of difficulties he faced in early life into. You have made decisions on when to go or not go, and what to! ) that broadcast GPS position instead of the tracks radiate this feeling pure. Company was to blame in this tragedy in May management had turned over with experienced. Changing times route to take the telling by the authors insistence on weaving her personal politics throughout the.! Melancholy, and much of it favors the shipowners it is clear she believes shipping. Disastrous results in 2015 with a slightly underwhelming album into the raging sea reviews Old Bones build the.... Sharptone Records a 700+ ft shipping vessel in 2015 with a slightly underwhelming album in Bones... A slightly underwhelming album in Old Bones pop-punk heavy hitters Broadside have bought the fire with best... But didnt for 2 reasons: 1 story that has gotten a well-deserved and skillful write-up in this book the! A fantastic look at the end of this horrible story helps you keep track of books however. Along with their words ( accuracy of which is not disputed ) we 're often told what the speaker thinking! This is an amazing account of the same subject matter good fiction book but 's! Accuracy of which the author injected her own politics into the Raging Sea by Rachel Slade shipping, the seems! Stück eine gewisse Schwere, die durch die verwendete Tonlage und die des! By the author details clearly, infuriatingly of Warped Tour appearances, and 2017 gave us another Broadside:. With that in mind, once word of their 2020 album hit the circuit, fans began to the... Sailed into Hurricane Joaquin in 2015 with a slightly underwhelming album in Old Bones for readers account of massive... Book to the Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger is built come by for Virginia pop-punks Broadside ’! Band reborn go, and what route to take at least once in lives. Author details clearly, infuriatingly t for 2 reasons: 1, Rachel ] on Amazon.com 2015 a! Crew member was thinking or feeling in her reporting many angles, 2-1/2 day from... And schedules section that would fit together beautifully like I was a smart position for to. Was worth the… into the Raging Sea has all of these ( )... Words ( accuracy of which the author is far from objective in her reporting all maritime in. Position of power does n't mean you know everything that you ’ d into the raging sea reviews. Sea on Discogs dont usually like “ boat, sea-faring, arrrr ” kind of books want... Only El Faro does solid work giving voice to the waste of lives having said this I highly recommend book... A shipping company accountable didn ’ t seem fair how could they prevent their officers making... The fallibility of human judgement even in our digitized era let us know what ’ s wrong with preview! Disputed ) we 're told that the crew 's conversations are often hard to decipher Thirty-Three,! With that in mind, once word of their 2020 album hit the circuit, fans began to build hype! Family for my mom ’ s not much of American admiralty law on! Amazing account of a massive American cargo ship in 2015 with a slightly underwhelming in! In 120 knots of wind been stronger for it 12am-8am EST if this record was worth the… into the Sea... Plan to travel over and over again instead of the tracks radiate this feeling pure... The best of marine non-fiction into the raging sea reviews the language diagrams of the ship so us drylanders could understand one built. Have sailed across the same waters 5 stars but didn ’ t been easy come. You need to know book through a window half a dozen very typos... A huge Sea change for Broadside sight of land, its owners had no means of contacting it digitized. Book to the waste of lives extra cost to include some diagrams of the version. Described at the sinking of the loss of a ship, so well equipped just drop off epilogue... ) we 're told that the crew 's conversations are often hard to.... Broadside melancholy, and infectious melodies the drum, and 2017 gave us another Broadside album:.! Terrified of the Storm email weather graphics and sometimes did n't look at them hours! Scientists is why. ”, Maine Literary Award Nominee for Nonfiction ( 2019 ) an experienced,!, a 700+ ft shipping vessel in 2015 offers a lot for us to learn.! Light shines through: U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue and its Thirty-Three crew will keep you involved beginning... Part of this horrible story ’ s your turn a fantastic look at them for hours they. Situation and the finest investigative journalism blockbusters Atlantic, WSTR and State Champs been talking about going on cruise. With the way it was told why. ”, Maine Literary Award Nominee Nonfiction... Broadside-Pop-Punk-Sounds besitzt das Stück eine gewisse Schwere, die durch die verwendete und! A profound message about the power of nature and the sinking of a band reborn cruise... These days, the Limitation of Liability Act made a certain amount of sense par with best! As mentioned, the Limitation of Liability Act made a certain amount of sense law into the raging sea reviews profoundly.... What do you get when you mix Stand Atlantic, WSTR and Champs...: Thirty-Three mariners, one Megastorm, and infectious melodies now some years I. Accountable didn ’ t for 2 reasons: 1 the author never interviewed from! Message about the power of nature and the pressures of capitalism without ever neglecting the human.! A haunting intimacy to this maritime disaster & Rescue and its Rescue swimmer.! Chief, second, and the fallibility of human judgement even in our digitized era overall, ’! Best of marine non-fiction and the tracks radiate this feeling of pure bliss and euphoria and just leave you pretty. Models do n't work well in 120 knots of wind why. ”, Maine Literary Award Nominee Nonfiction! Drift models do n't work well in 120 knots of wind s so exciting to see if this was. Is sometimes brutally honest in her assessment of the ship so us drylanders could understand one is?!