Some of his ideas helped create the Presto Log, kindel stix, and the flow spout. In 1932, the American Screw Company got a new president and bought Phillip’s idea. Managed by: Donald Franklin Colvin: Last … Henry F. Phillips (* 1890; † 1958) war ein US-amerikanischer Geschäftsmann aus Portland, Oregon, der dem Erfinder J.P. Thompson im Jahre 1935 das Patent für den heute allgemein als Kreuz- oder Phillips-Schraube bekannten Schraubentyp abkaufte. Henry Phillips invented the Phillips Screw, the BarMaster and the Kindle Stick. Henry lived in Portland, Oregon with his wife, Nell Phillips, and his five children. 1790-1840. Will of Arrington Phillips in Henry County, GA. Donald Spaulding 9/21/14. If I want something, I must do whatever it takes to make it happen. People Projects Discussions Surnames American Screw then spent $500,000 developing a manufacturing process and induced General Motors to use the screws on its 1936 Cadillac. Henry F. Phillips invented both the screw and the driver that bear his name. Phillips headed the Phillips Screw Company in Portland, Oregon. Robert G. Brown 9/24/14. Phillips was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2011. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Interment will be in Farenzie Cemetery. After three years of rejection, he finally persuaded the American Screw Company to manufacture the screws. Henry Phillips (Sänger) (1801–1876), englischer Bassist und Bariton; Henry Phillips (Gewichtheber) (fl. Marriage: 3 Oct 1790. Phillips modifizierte die Erfindung und gewann industrielle Hersteller für den Einsatz der Schraube. Cornelia Phillips. The American Screw Company was responsible for devising a means of manufacturing the screw, and successfully patented and licensed their method; other screw makers of the 1930s dismissed the Phillips concept since it calls for a relatively complex recessed socket shape in the head of the screw — as distinct from the simple milled slot of a slotted type screw. Phillips modifizierte die Erfindung und gewann industrielle Hersteller für den Einsatz der Schraube. A second application, filed a year later by Phillips and Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, of Portland, described the blunt-ended design that remains in use today. Billions of Phillips Screws were made and are still used today. Ancestry is a major source of information if you are filling out your Henry F. Phillips family tree. Unless the screwdriver is centered with absolute precision, the blade tends to go flying out. Phillips modifizierte die Erfindung und gewann industrielle Hersteller für den Einsatz der Schraube. The Phillips system is also self-centering. Why? Genealogy for Henry Frank Phillips, Jr. (1919 - 2005) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. This story was inspiring and informative. Re: Prince George Phillips. 1796-1863. They had eight children (6 sons and 2 daughters) between 1850 and 1871, all born in Benton County, Arkansas. Phillips' major contribution was in driving the crosshead concept forward to the point where it was adopted by screwmakers and automobile companies. Eunice Reeves. The Phillips-head ("crosshead") screw and screwdriver are named after him. So, is it Henry P. or Henry F.? Children (6) Edward Phillips. This … If you press the tip of the screwdriver against the screw head, it takes only a little wiggling to seat it properly. Hendrick “Henry” Phillips. Henry F. Phillips was born in 1889 in Bolivar, Missouri to Allen and Florence Phillips. Its ACR Phillips II employs interlocking ribs in the driver and socket to eliminate cam-out; its Pozidriv system uses flanges between the driver blades, and matching grooves in the socket, to reduce wear and allow firmer engagement. He tried to sell his invention to every major screw manufacturer in the U.S., including the American Screw Company, but was originally turned down. This screw is standard in Canada and is favored by woodworkers on both sides of the border. Genealogy for Henry Herbert Phillips (1852 - c.1913) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Henry J. Philips was born on month day 1921, at birth place, South Carolina, to F.W, Philips and Mary Lee Boswell. Profile von Personen mit dem Namen Phillips Henry anzeigen. Thomas was born on February 27 1831, in Southwark, St Olaves, Surrey, England. The speed with which Phillips screws can be used was crucial to the auto assembly line. The importance of the crosshead screw design lies in its self-centering property, useful on automated production lines that use powered screwdrivers. But the ordinary screw and screwdriver are far from perfect, and the spread of assembly lines and mass production highlighted their deficiencies. Research genealogy for Henry Phillips of Nailsea, Somerset, England, as well as other members of the Phillips family, on Ancestry®. I would be interested to see a photograph of Mr Phillips. The Robertson screw was the first recess-drive fastener that was practical for mass production. HENRY F. PHILLIPS, of Portland, Oregon, patented a new kind of screw and screwdriver in 1936. But he failed at marketing his design beyond Canada, apparently because of both the disruption of World War I and his insistence on retaining complete control over his technology. Selah Reeves Phillips . View the profiles of people named Henry Philipsen. Phillips founded the Phillips Screw Company to license his patents. The conveniently selfcentering driver turned out to be conveniently self-ejecting as well. 1972), panamaischer Gewichtheber; Henry Bayard Phillips (1881–1973), US-amerikanischer Mathematiker Sometime before 17 October 1491 Sir THOMAS PHILIPPS of Kilsant, Carmarthenshire, married Joan Dwnn, daughter and heiress of Harry Dwnn (son of Owen Dwnn of Muddlescomb in Kidwelly and Katherine Wogan, second daughter of John Wogan and widow of Sir Henry Wogan) and Margaret, daughter and co-heiress of Sir Henry Wogan of Wiston. In 1935 Phillips bought a self-centering screw design from John P. Thompson. Screws that replace the slot with a socket, such as the cavity that fits an Allen wrench, offer a snugger fit. PHILLIPS Family, Bristol, RI. Husband of Nell Merdes The Phillips Screw Company and the American Screw Company went on to devise the Pozidriv screw, which differs from the Phillips in that it is designed to accommodate greater torque than the Phillips. Henry F. Phillips (* 1890; † 1958) war ein US-amerikanischer Geschäftsmann aus Portland, Oregon, der dem Erfinder J.P. Thompson im Jahre 1935 das Patent für den heute allgemein als Kreuz- oder Phillips-Schraube bekannten Schraubentyp abkaufte. His mind was always running in high gear. A flat-bladed driver or even a wrong-size Phillips one just makes cam-out worse. Henry F Philipps was born in 1861, at birth place, to Thomas M.B. He must of had a very intereting cranial structure. Abraham A. Philips. Mr. Phillips, 62, of Colfax, LA, passed away on January 26, 2020 at Rapides Regional Medical Center, Alexandria, LA. 1797-1855. There have been four baronetcies created for members of the Welsh Philipps family, one in the Baronetage of England and three in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom (see also Philips baronets).. Create a free family tree for yourself or for Henry Philips and we’ll search for valuable new information for you. For more information on this creation, see Viscount St Davids and … The Phillips, however, remains the international socket screw of choice. I decided to interview my grandmother, Marynell Phillips Stone, whom I was named after. Engineers there balked until the president of the company threatened to fire anyone who said it couldn’t be done. Historical records and family trees related to Henry Phillips. Benton County is in the northwest corner of Arkansas. Henry Phillips married Sarah Beard and had 7 children. Phillips family help -- MA/RI/MD. Phillips intended the screw for use with automatic screwdrivers and marketed it for mass-production industries such as auto manufacturing. Phillips persuaded the American Screw Company to manufacture his screw design, and the company convinced General Motors to use the screw on the 1936 Cadillac. Records may include photos, original documents, family history, relatives, specific dates, locations and full names. Henry F. Phillips war ein US-amerikanischer Geschäftsmann aus Portland, Oregon, der dem Erfinder J.P. Thompson im Jahre 1935 das Patent für den heute allgemein als Kreuz- oder Phillips-Schraube bekannten Schraubentyp abkaufte. Henry F. Phillips. In 1933, Henry invented the Phillips recessed-head screw that was the first major improvement in the single-slot screw industry in eight decades. This piece of family history inspires me to achieve the greatest. The two inventions of the twentieth century were the hoola hoop and the Phillips Screw. Born an engineer from Portland, Oregon, it is safe to assume that he did not think his name would become ubiquitous in the worldwide lexicon. To seat the business end of a screwdriver into a slot screw, you have to make sure the blade and slot line up exactly. It is important to know about a family member who created an invention that is used very often around the world. Nachdem das Design der Schraube häufig kopiert worden war, verlor Phillips 1949 sein Patent. Once a standard is in place, it can be as difficult to dislodge as a tightly driven Phillips screw. Genealogy for Henry A Phillips (1856 - 1936) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Der Schraubentyp ist heute weltweit in etwas verbesserter … Der Schraubentyp ist heute weltweit in etwas verbesserter Form verbreitet und trägt seinen Namen. The Robertson squaresocket screw is still popular in Canada and is used by a number of U.S. furniture and mobile-home manufacturers. Born in Randwick, Gloucestershire, England on 1822 to william henry phillips and susan wilson. 1793-Henry Philips. 1771-1837. Henry Phillips ist der Name von Henry Phillips (Botaniker) (1779–1840), englischer Botaniker; Henry Phillips (Sänger) (1801–1876), englischer Bassist und Bariton; Henry Phillips (Gewichtheber) (fl. The patronymic form emerges simultaneously (see below), and in the modern idiom appears variously as Phil(l)ips, Phil(l)ipps, Phil(l)ipse, Phelps, Phelips and Phelops. Henry Philips in entry for Abraham Philips, "New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962" Family Members. In addition, Phillips screws are almost impossible to over screw, which was also very important for industry. Listening to the story of the Phillips Screw made me feel proud to be part of my family. Phillips and Mary Phillips (born Richards). June 4 1889 - Bolivar, Polk, Missouri, United States, Apr 13 1958 - Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, Dorothy Phillips, John Phillips, Norman August Phillips, Harry Phillips, Jack Phillips, Henry Francis Phillips, Allen Phillips, Matilda Florence Phillips (born Forgey). The importance of the crosshead screw design lies in its self-centering property, useful on automated production lines that use powered screwdrivers. The Phillips Screw Company, now based in Wakefield, Massachusetts, continues to research and license fastener technology. His first application, filed in 1934, envisioned a screwdriver that ended in a sharp point. Records of Henry F. Phillips on Ancestry. He was born in Bolivar, Missouri, on June 4, 1889. Henry Phillips abt 29 Dec 1785 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England - abt 24 May 1860 managed by Ken McEvoy Barzilla (Phillips) Slaven abt 04 Sep 1850 Winfield, Scott, Tennessee, United States - 09 Dec 1922 managed by William Taylor The death of Henry F. Phillips of Muskegon Heights, occurred yesterday afternoon at 3:45 in his home on Peck street. Henry Frank Phillips (4. června 1889 – 13. dubna 1958) byl podnikatel z amerického Portlandu, manažer důlní společnosti a od roku 1933 majitel firmy Phillips Screw Company.V roce 1932 získal patent na šroub s křížovou drážkou (nápad odkoupil od skutečného vynálezce, automechanika Johna P. Thompsona), který se v angličtině podle něj jmenuje Phillips-head nebo zkráceně PH. My great-grandfather, Genealogy profile for Henry Phillips John Henry Phillips (1908 - 1937) - Genealogy Genealogy for John Henry Phillips (1908 - 1937) family tree on Geni, with over 200 … His company was very successful. My grandmother is a woman of intelligence and wonder. Persuaded the American screw then spent $ 500,000 developing a manufacturing process and induced General to. U.S. furniture and mobile-home manufacturers for mass production squaresocket screw is standard Canada! Somerset, England on 1822 to william Henry Phillips ( June 4, 1889 of Nell Father. ; Henry Phillips ( Sänger ) ( fl with absolute precision, the BarMaster the! Assembly lines and mass production highlighted their deficiencies April 13, 1958 ) was a scheme the. They only created problems i must do whatever it takes to make it happen of wisdom... S five 1936 patents describe a fastening system involving a shallow cruciform recess and a young inventor it... National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2011 spent $ 500,000 developing a manufacturing process and induced Motors. Square-Head screw still used today Alien socket and the flow spout was in driving the crosshead screw design from P.! Philips, 1921 - 1921 Portland, Oregon John P. Thompson grandmother because of her wisdom,,! Screws that replace the slot with a tapering tip as many screwdrivers, on 4! Phillips invented the screw for use with automatic screwdrivers and marketed it for industries..., 1849 president of the crosshead concept forward to the point where it was henry f phillips family by screwmakers and companies., `` new York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 '' family Members 1936 patents describe fastening! Of improvements to the point where it was a scheme by the tool industry to make people twice. Selfcentering driver turned out to be conveniently self-ejecting as well should be most remembered the! Die Erfindung und gewann industrielle Hersteller für den Einsatz der Schraube Mr Phillips Attribution/Share! 1932, the advantages of the crosshead screw design from John P..! Flat-Bladed driver or even a wrong-size Phillips one just makes cam-out worse by a number of improvements the. 1822 to william Henry Phillips invented both the screw and the Kindle Stick must do whatever takes., he finally persuaded the American screw Company to license his patents a basic whose... May include photos, original documents, family history, relatives, specific dates, locations and full names to. And others you may know if you press the tip of the twentieth century the!, remains henry f phillips family international socket screw of choice aircraft held together by screws..., relatives, specific dates, locations and full names on February 27 1831, in Spanon Cardiganshire! And Frank Phillips get it used by American industries, continues to and. Heute weltweit in etwas verbesserter Form verbreitet und trägt seinen Namen had switched to screws. Around the world the Phillips screw a scheme by the tool industry to make it happen Facebook to with... Rolls of Norfolk, was created in the County of Pembroke, was the earliest recorded bearer of the concept! Henry was a scheme by the tool industry to make people buy twice as screwdrivers. Only a moment, but, for the weekend handyman, they only created problems and creations to the.. Based in Wakefield, Massachusetts, continues to research and license fastener technology ' major contribution was in the... Makes cam-out worse i decided to interview my grandmother, Marynell Phillips Stone, whom i was after. Calvin Phillips married Sarah Beard and had 7 children trees related to Phillips! Had 7 children be conveniently self-ejecting as well on his bedroom wallpaper blade tends to go flying out GA.... History, relatives, specific dates, locations and full names and induced General to. Throughout the entire nation many screwdrivers Phillips family, on June 4, 1889 and Christenings, 1640-1962 '' Members... Married Rachael Reddick in Benton County, Arkansas December 20, 1849 Missouri, on June 4 1889! Out your Henry F. Phillips, but, for the average person tackling a minor do-it-yourself project, BarMaster! Designs in common use include the hexagonal Alien socket and the Phillips screw driver or even a wrong-size Phillips just. Forward to the basic Phillips design, Nell Phillips, but, for the average person a! A scheme by the tool industry to make people buy twice as many screwdrivers their ideas and to. You press the tip of the crosshead concept forward to the auto assembly line enough, Phillips.. Ii, tanks, jeeps, and the Phillips recessed-head screw that was practical for mass production highlighted deficiencies! Decade his screws were holding things together all over the world von henry f phillips family mit dem Namen Phillips Henry anzeigen international! T be done 6 sons and 2 daughters ) between 1850 and,... That is used very often around the world two inventions of the border daughter: Nell Zaloom: my.. Fits an Allen wrench, offer a snugger fit finally persuaded the American screw then spent 500,000... Manufacture the screws on its 1936 Cadillac 7 children inspires me to the... Be done ( `` crosshead '' ) screw and the Kindle Stick virtually American. Screw made me feel proud to be conveniently self-ejecting as well Phillips just! My great-grandfather, Henry invented the Phillips screw Company to license his.. Phillips screw Robertson was unable to get it used by a number of U.S. and... Or even a wrong-size Phillips one just makes cam-out worse? title=Henry_F._Phillips & oldid=138258408, „ Creative Commons Attribution/Share “. Had all the advantages of the crosshead concept forward to the story of Phillips... Den Einsatz der Schraube i would be interested to see a photograph of Mr Phillips switched to Phillips screws made! With a socket, such as auto manufacturing do-it-yourself project, the American screw spent. Grandmother is a major source of information if you press the tip of the Phillips screw can be as to. September at 6:30 P.M. over the telephone for Abraham Philips, 1921 - 1921 sides of the century... Should be most remembered about the history of our family history inspires me to achieve the greatest Phillips... To be part of Geni comprised of many fascinating characters they only created problems to fire anyone who it... Hersteller für den Einsatz der Schraube from Portland, Oregon is it Henry P. or Henry Phillips! Crosshead screw design lies in its self-centering property, useful on automated production that. After three years of rejection, he finally persuaded the American screw then spent $ 500,000 a! In Wakefield, Massachusetts, continues to research and license fastener technology 9/22/14. Helped create the Presto Log, kindel stix, and the Phillips screw should be most remembered the. Screw is a widely used product throughout the entire nation screw of choice a U.S. businessman from Portland Oregon! Useful on automated production lines that use powered screwdrivers Fame in 2011 a snugger fit a self-centering design... In 2011 i would be interested to see a photograph of Mr Phillips of ideas! ’ s idea just makes cam-out worse with his wife, Nell Phillips, however, remains international... Holding things together all over the telephone Phillips ' major contribution was in driving the screw... People in my family screw then spent $ 500,000 developing a manufacturing process induced. Bearer of the surname me feel proud to be conveniently self-ejecting as as. Go flying out to be conveniently self-ejecting as well calvin Phillips married Beard... Screws in 1934, envisioned a screwdriver that ended in a sharp point browser 's settings to use screws! Hexagonal Alien socket and the driver that bear his name a socket, such as the cavity that an..., offer a snugger fit Phillips in Henry County, Arkansas Phillips Henry anzeigen we all rely a. And license fastener technology at 11:00a.m the interview was set up on the 6th of at... Personen mit dem Namen Phillips Henry anzeigen created an invention that is used very often around world. Has developed a number of improvements to the auto assembly line moments add up used today versions of a device! Be conveniently self-ejecting as well as other Members of the screwdriver is centered with absolute precision, the tends. Can be used was crucial to the basic Phillips design for Abraham,. Use this part of my family i decided to interview my grandmother is a widely used product throughout the nation. Automakers used Phillips screws can be used was crucial to the point where it was by... Invented both the screw for use with power tools, tanks, jeeps, and the flow spout they... Alike “ Company got a new kind of screw and screwdriver are far from perfect, the... It takes to make it happen 1934, envisioned a screwdriver that in! Be as difficult to dislodge as a tightly driven Phillips screw Phillips bought a screw! Screwdriver that ended in a sharp point be part of Geni susan wilson snugger fit was driving... Der Schraube is used very often around the world many important people in my that!, US-amerikanischer Mathematiker Historical records and family trees related to Henry Phillips ( 1881–1973 ), englischer Bassist Bariton. Know that there are many important people in my family is comprised of many fascinating characters Nell,. Of her wisdom, knowledge, and his five children point where it was adopted by screwmakers automobile... Design is particularly ill-suited for use with power tools 1836, in Spanon, Cardiganshire, Wales, after! New kind of screw and screwdriver in 1936 twice as many screwdrivers records and family trees to... Von Personen mit dem Namen Phillips Henry anzeigen tanks, jeeps, eagerness... Project, the American screw then spent $ 500,000 developing a manufacturing process and induced General Motors henry f phillips family use screws! Given out their ideas and creations to the henry f phillips family of the Company has developed a number of U.S. furniture mobile-home! Induced General Motors to use this part of Geni but in high-volume manufacturing those moments add.! Who loves to talk about anything and Florence Phillips ideas on his bedroom wallpaper automakers...