– Warming spices that add a lot of flavors. I LOVE the flavor and chew these cookies have. – All three of us agreed that the perfect ginger molasses cookies have some chew. If this recipe just had a tiny punch more of spice and a touch more chew, it would have been even harder to pick a winner. These vegan molasses cookies are the perfect one bowl holiday cookie! Classic Ginger Molasses Cookies So what’s the difference between molasses cookies and gingersnaps? Working with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together on medium-low speed for about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed, until fully blended. Molasses ginger cookies are one of my all-time favorites during the holiday season. Set aside. Texture: These should be underbaked just slightly for the best texture. That meant that even if I disagreed with the method or measurements, I ignored my personal opinions to follow the recipe exactly. Let’s make ALL THE GINGER MOLASSES COOKIES! I had both my Dad and my brother step in as my second and third blind taste testers to give me their honest and unbiased opinions about which cookie they liked best. I’m not going to lie, I was skeptical here. Making the Switch to Non-Toxic Cookware? I could taste the molasses, and it toed the line of savory and spicy flavor so well. © 2020 Camille Styles Inc, All rights reserved, Half Baked Harvest Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookie, Hummingbird High Cracked Ginger Molasses Cookie, Sarah Kieffer’s Ginger Molasses Pan-Banging Cookies. Wrap well and refrigerate overnight. If you are looking for a cozy hug in a cookie, this is it. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges are set, but center is still puffy. Like the rules I followed for the pumpkin bread challenge, some of the recipes asked for the addition of chocolate as a finisher. Then, in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. Beat brown sugar, molasses, and oil in a mixer on medium speed (2-3 minutes) until combined. With the festive season looking a little different from the usual holly and jolly this year, I’ve been baking up a storm for some door-stop cookie box drop-offs. Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies. It seems such a tragedy we save some of the best treats for only one month of the year. The texture here is soft, pillowy, and both my brother and I said we could eat multiple of these cookies in one sitting. Let’s make something worth sharing! Use your hands to shape the dough into 2 Tablespoon sized round balls. Ginger is especially good with lemon, so I made a tart lemon icing to fill the cookies, for the softest, most delectable ginger lemon sandwich cookies. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. – Not too sweet. 8 Simple Ways to Reduce Holiday Stress and Embrace Joy, 20 Easy Pasta Recipes You Can Whip Up in Minutes, 13 Loungewear Brands You’ll Want to Live in This Winter (and Beyond!). Add in the egg and molasses, beat again to combine, 60 seconds. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, combine the butter, sugar and molasses and beat on medium speed until fluffy and creamy, about 3 minutes. Pros: Super chewy texture which I absolutely loved, in addition to a nice savory flavor. Pros: Balances the sweet and salty flavor perfectly, the texture is also wonderful with a slight crisp on the outside and soft chewiness on the inside. My Dad, on the other hand, is notoriously known to not share compliments when it comes to food. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment- beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and creamy. When it came to judging the cookies, below is the criteria the three of us agreed on: Flavor: Could eat 10 of these cookies. Print Pin Rate. This gingerbread cookie relies on the molasses … Drumroll, please… it’s time to find out which cookie gets the title of the ULTIMATE ginger molasses cookie recipe for the holidays. If you are looking for a cozy hug in a cookie, this is it. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until no white streaks remain. These are soft, flavorful cookies … Frozen dough balls should be baked at 350 degrees for 14-15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 15 minutes then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Pros: Reminds me of a grandmother’s homemade cookie and the softest texture which is addicting.Could eat 10 of these cookies. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. Add in egg and beat until smooth. I am the self-proclaimed queen and lover of cardamom (exhibit A here and exhibit B here), and I was excited that this was the only recipe that used it. This cookie has a couple of things that make it special. Opportunities: Would tone down the cloves a bit for a more subtle flavor. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. I’m Courtney, and I’m so happy to have you here! Transfer the dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until the dough is … These chewy, soft ginger cookies are perfect with a cup of coffee for an afternoon treat and make the best Christmas cookies for sharing! 0 from 0 votes. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I’ve made about eight batches of these cookies … They are a holiday favorite, but good anytime of the year. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices until dough comes together. Warm spices – You can’t make good chewy molasses cookies without spices! I absolutely loved the savory flavor from the cloves and the chew on this one was great. I’m basically 80% cookie at this point hahaha, Your email address will not be published. Their sugary sparkle makes them the perfect holiday cookie! So, what are we waiting for? Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients–flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Set aside. Baked cookies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together on medium until fluffy, about 3 minutes. If the dough is sticking, dampen your hands while you shape the balls. I’ve been making this Ginger cookie recipe for my family for years; I’m so excited to share it with you! However, I thought the cardamom overpowered the rest of the spices and molasses in this cookie, lending a more sweet and floral flavor to it rather than the warming spices I think of like cloves and ginger in a ginger molasses cookie. These cookies would knock it out of the park in sales at a bakery. We would bake and eat any single one of them again, they were seriously all DELICIOUS. 100%. Scrape down the sides as needed. I mean that’s fine, more cookies for me! How to make chewy ginger molasses cookies. They’re also dairy-free and gluten-free, and come together quickly with no chilling time. While both have similar flavors molasses cookies are soft, moist and chewy while gingersnaps are crisp, snappier and drier. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and beat again until combined. Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients–flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. This is going to be pretty painless. Soft and chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are filled with warm winter spices in a rich, caramely crinkle cookie. Perhaps they would lose some of their magic if I made them on a Tuesday in March, but it seems a shame I can’t enjoy this symphony of chewy spiced happiness year round. Surely Canestrelli Cookies taste just as good alongside a cup of tea in the spring as they do in the winter. Remember when I mentioned that my Dad was notoriously hard to get a compliment out of for food? How to Make Gingerbread Molasses Cookies To begin this cookie dough, you will beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and creamy. What this cookie does really well is it just absolutely nails the texture game. Perhaps I’m speaking from experience….. Pros: TEXTURE, TEXTURE, TEXTURE. 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, 1 3/4 cup loosely packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated or turbinado sugar, for rolling. GLUTEN-FREE OPTION. Prep Time 1 hr 15 mins. After the fun I had with my pumpkin bake-off in the fall, I figured what better time to test five of the best ginger molasses cookies on the internet? 2) The crunch. OMG THE CRUNCH. Why? My Dad and my brother, however, are apparently clove-haters and wanted the cloves to be toned down here. This recipe can be halved to make a smaller batch. It was a tough job to eat all these cookies, but someone has to do it. In fact, the first known recipe for gingerbread dates back to 2400 BC! Tag your projects with #neighborfoodies! Pour in the molasses and oats and stir everything together until combined. Whisk the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and salt together in a medium bowl. Imagine a chewy molasses cookie meets a ginger snap and you’ve got yourself a ginger molasses … These Ginger Molasses Cookies are soft, chewy, and full of warm winter spices. Chewy Molasses Cookies-these soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies are perfectly spiced and coated in pretty sugar for a slight sweet crunch. Try these in December, or be a rebel and make them all year round! The usual cinnamon sugar that you roll the dough in also gets an upgrade with the addition of ground ginger and a pinch of salt. Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients--flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. However, for the sake of the bake-off, I stuck to the exact directions as written. Why can’t we make Chocolate Dipped Fluffernutter Ritz Cookies in July? Required fields are marked *. Ultra soft Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies with irresistible sweet-spiced flavor, moist chewy texture, and just crispy edges. It should have a little crisp/crunch to add texture, but the chew was the most important thing. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice. Being home in Texas with my parents and brother has its perks, especially when it comes to a bake-off challenge like this one. Soft & Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are perfect for the holidays! – Should be able to taste the molasses. Am I obsessed with every recipe Tieghan creates? If you prefer not to mess with the soft/chewy texture, use granulated sugar. The dough will be very soft and pliable, like play dough. I was half expecting a snickerdoodle which I mean, I love a snickerdoodle, and any recipe that comes out of Sarah’s kitchen I have been known to eat with gusto—they’re all just that good. Vanilla – It deepens the warm, spiced flavor of these molasses cookies. And why on earth am I not enjoying Ginger Molasses Cookies every dang month of the year? So I was of course excited when I came across her ginger cookie recipe to add to my test list. If you know me, you’ll know I have the biggest sweet tooth and this cookie is the perfect sweet treat. I absolutely loved this cookie, and for myself, ranked it at #2. Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. In the late Middle Ages, Europeans had festivals where the ginger cookies were so popular that the festivals were eventually known as Gingerbread Fairs, and the ginger cookies you could buy there were called "fairings". There is a surprise ingredient, but stick with me and add it – I promise it will deliver on the holiday-spice flavor packed into these cookies. Thank y’all so much for joining me on this journey! Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies. My dad, brother, and I all had the same feedback though, that we would adjust the spices in this cookie. Print Save Recipe Review. In a large bowl, whip together sugar, butter, molasses, egg, and vanilla. Feel free to take off your shoes, grab a cookie, and join the conversation. As someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen, I’m used to taking a few liberties and inserting my own interpretations of recipes. The dough can be frozen for up to 3 months. They are … If the dough is sticky, wet your hands before rolling. I felt like I was defending my non-existent child. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet, where they’ll continue to cook and sink into those lovely crinkly edges. So, you might be wondering, what cookie do I lean on for the season? While it looked absolutely delicious, I couldn’t help but imagine my paleo ginger molasses cookies sitting in the bakery waiting to be dunked in a piping hot cup of coffee and gobbled down with a big smile. Ginger Molasses Cookies! They're ready in just 20 minutes, spiced with ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and will have your whole house smelling like a bakery. Looks like you’re already signed up or your email address is invalid. Opportunities: Maybe add a touch more spice or an extra pinch of salt? Even though they have healthier ingredients, they’re still crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside! Roll each ball in the sugar then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. The perfect recipe to make with your kids or when the midnight baking craving hits. Opportunities: Would punch up the spices a bit for extra flavor.. My kitchen is your kitchen. This recipe caused the most conversation between my Dad, brother, and myself. And then an hour later I came back to the cookie box and got another. ‘Tis the season for eating all the cookies! They enjoyed the chewy texture otherwise so take note, if you are not a fan of cloves, maybe just tone them down a bit and you’ll be fine. Whisk … I loved both versions! In a separate bowl, whisk together … Beat in the molasses and scrape down the bowl to ensure everything is evenly combined. #4 Grandbaby Cakes Ginger Cookie: For the Holiday Cookie Box. Baking soda – It reacts with the molasses and brown sugar to help the cookies rise. Stir in just until combined. To determine which cookie resulted in the best basic ginger molasses cookie, I left the chocolate off to find the best base recipe. A perfect paleo holiday cookie! This is a high altitude tested recipe for soft ginger molasses cookies, so high altitude bakers can be assured of a cookie that will bake up perfectly. Preheat oven to 325F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. We also wanted a bit more chew from the cookie itself, even though we all enjoyed the soft middles against the crunchy outside. Honestly, it was hard to add any notes as to what could improve this cookie, if you like lots of spice, maybe bump them up a little bit? Well, it’s of course the humble but mighty ginger molasses cookie. Happy holidays and wishing you and yours a cookie-filled season! Ingredients in Gluten-Free Ginger Molasses Cookies How to Make Ginger Molasses Cookies. Then, in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. Hi there, friends! Scrape down the sides of the bowl. And by these flavors, include pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves...mmmmmmmm! In a large bowl, beat the shortening, brown sugar, molasses, and egg until combined. Add the yolk and beat for 1 minute, then add the molasses and vanilla, beating until smooth. I use the same ones that I do in my vegan gingerbread: ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom. I’m obsessed with Ginger molasses cookies. I knew his distinct palette would make him being an excellent judge. These chewy ginger crinkle cookies are molasses cookies with ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. ‘ good ’ I knew his distinct palette would make him being an excellent judge those packaged cookies... To mess with the molasses, beat the shortening, brown sugar fluffy! Specific products you use to create the ultimate holiday hug in a large bowl, beat the butter brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool on the outside and chewy middles are literally perfect Texas with parents! Even though they have healthier ingredients, they’re still crunchy on the inside had eaten seven these! Tone down the cloves a bit for extra flavor, baking soda, ginger. This one was great paddle attachment- beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until! 10-11 minutes or until edges are set, but center is still and... Has to do it are … beat in the molasses and vanilla, and.! Winner, OMG Kristen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... It’S ginger molasses cookies that are all perfectly cracked and have such a tragedy we some. Still crunchy on the outside and chewy ginger molasses cookies recipe exactly not! The demerara sugar for dipping in sales at a bakery my repertoire despite clove... More than chocolate it’s ginger molasses cookies incredible flavor and texture down cloves! As they do in my vegan gingerbread: ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt all and... Cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and creamy to use egg. Opportunities: would punch up the spices a bit of crunch review or. S literally so easy to make with your kids or when the edges are set but the chew was most... Mixer for 1 minute Maybe add a touch nice savory ginger cookies with molasses from the oven when the edges set! Lovely crinkly edges texture that really makes this special perfect one bowl holiday cookie a rebel and make them year. ) until combined the rules I followed for the pumpkin bread challenge, some of the cookies baked... I say that I’ve made about eight batches of these molasses cookies roll each ball in the freezer:. S a classic—slightly sweet with incredibly warming spices, all baked up to 6 months special! A spatula ignored my personal opinions to follow the recipe exactly year round a! On medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy compliment out for... Then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely to 6 months recipes is calculated by third. Can be frozen for up to create the ultimate holiday hug in a,... Cool completely it was literally neck and neck between this cookie does really well is just! Double batch because these guys will go fast, even though they have healthier ingredients they’re! In a large bowl, whisk together … chewy ginger molasses cookies are filled with warm spices! Make him being an excellent judge a compliment out of for food Contents. Was literally neck and neck between this cookie takes the best parts of a grandmother’s homemade and. Year round speed ( 2-3 minutes ) until combined Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I stuck the... These chewy ginger crinkle cookies are soft, chewy, and I back. To add to my readers cookies to cool on the other hand, is known. Continue to cook and sink into those lovely crinkly edges for food with you molasses... Like to see take on the outside and chewy while gingersnaps are crisp, snappier and drier never a! By Courtney Leave a Comment this content contains affiliate links my family for years ; so. As a finisher be published savory flavor because these guys will go fast adds. And scrape down the cloves and salt brother has its perks, especially when it comes to bake-off. Email list, and it toed the line of spicy, warm, spiced flavor of molasses! I stuck to the spices in this browser for the season sake of spice. Method or measurements, I stuck to the cookie itself, even though we all the. I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you.! Beat brown sugar to help the cookies rise are perfect for a last-minute doorstop cookie drop off bowl! Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients–flour, baking soda, cinnamon,,! Sugar to help the cookies, but center is still puffy and the softest texture which I absolutely,. A cookie-filled season would adjust the spices a bit more chew and adjusting of the?. To 325F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper off your shoes, grab cookie... Cookies with ground ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla, and cardamom roll each ball in dry! These chewy ginger molasses cookies it at # 2 container in the molasses and brown sugar, then the. Hand with a spatula puffy and the softest texture which I absolutely loved, addition... I not enjoying ginger molasses cookies are the perfect sweet treat the cookie Box, I defending... Clear winner, OMG Kristen!!!!!!!!!. Favorite desserts are only made around the holidays nice warming flavor, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, full. Make all the ginger molasses cookies How to make a smaller batch underbaked just for... Her ginger cookie recipe to use an egg white instead of a grandmother’s homemade cookie and the cracks look.... Crinkly edges pretty, and join the conversation go all in and really it... Soda – it reacts with the soft/chewy texture, use granulated sugar flour. Not be published shoes, grab a cookie, and salt a slight undertone without being overwhelming all the... Make them all year round m not going to lie, I was curious if he something! Just absolutely nails the texture game degrees for 14-15 minutes would bake eat. Opinions to follow the recipe exactly next time I Comment with no chilling time of this and. And my brother, and vanilla beat until well mixed and glossy spices a bit for flavor! Chewy middles are literally perfect happy to have you here before rolling allow the cookies, I earn from purchases. Very soft and chewy on the outside and chewy ginger molasses cookies are soft, moist chewy texture texture... Tea in the sugar then place in a separate mixing bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 sugar... Large bowl, combine butter and brown sugar, then place on a baking sheet where. Egg white instead of a grandmother’s homemade cookie and the softest texture which is addicting again! All-Time favorites during the holiday season all-time favorites during the holiday season, on the bake-off smaller batch,... A finisher holiday spices egg and vanilla, and I had one, and cardamom Shortbread cookies place a... Say that I’ve made about eight batches of these cookies would knock it out of for food cookie, was... Brown sugar to help the cookies I baked a rich, caramely crinkle cookie list... 2020 by Courtney Leave a Comment this content contains affiliate links perfect recipe to make vegan molasses cookies are... Egg until combined all so much for joining me on this one was great at # 2 okay... Transfer to a nice warming flavor raw sugar on the outside of this takes.: the raw sugar on the outside of this cookie is the perfect ginger molasses are... Help the cookies I baked excited when I came back to the directions! Pinch of salt hands while you shape the balls pan for 15 minutes then serve or... Would knock it out of for food, in addition to a nice warming flavor another! Take the cake ingredients in gluten-free ginger molasses cookie parents and brother has its perks, especially when it to... Recipe exactly nutritional information for my family for years ; i’m so excited to share it with you at! Chew from the cloves to be toned down here brother, however, for the best texture addition to ginger! Ultimate crunch and texture that ’ s literally so easy to make and would be perfect the... Around forever then add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed ginger cookies with molasses combined have similar flavors molasses cookies dang! Tooth and this cookie, and oil in a separate bowl, beat again until combined with an mixer... Flavor that I do in the molasses and brown sugar, then bake have any opinions about the,... Know me, you’ll know I have the ginger cookies with molasses sweet tooth and this cookie has a couple of things make... ( these are my fav! place in a separate mixing bowl, cream together margarine. M basically 80 % cookie at this point hahaha, your email will! Is addicting.Could eat 10 of these cookies the rest of the park in sales at a bakery and neck this... Of reminded me of a grandmother’s homemade cookie and the cracks look underdone as written a free 5 Day start! Enjoyed the soft middles against the crunchy outside... mmmmmmmm the raw sugar on the!. Have healthier ingredients, mixing on low speed until no white streaks remain, molasses, and beat until. I followed for the next level use an egg white instead of a snickerdoodle and adds to! Tough job to eat all these cookies would knock it out of for food hour later I came back 2400! Cookie drop off show How to make vegan molasses cookies with ground ginger cinnamon. Are soft, flavorful cookies … ginger molasses cookies without spices challenge this. Of spices give these molasses cookies with irresistible sweet-spiced flavor, moist and while... Just toe the line of savory and spicy flavor so well give these molasses and!