The only correction I would make is…Ebbingers Blackout Cake does not have icing on the outside it was filled and iced with pudding. And then guess what? Remove and set aside to cool until tepid. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Quickly apply a layer of frosting to the top and the sides of the cake. It had three layers of chocolate cake, a creamy chocolate filling, and was covered with thick fudge frosting and … Then the frosting, top and sides, and finally the crumbs sprinkled on top. Add the dissolved cornstarch paste and salt to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Like this recipe? The true Ebinger's Chocolate Blackout Cake had only a thin sprinkling that let the gloss of the icing come through. The family had waay too much fun smashing the cake crumbs on the outside of the cake. Note: The filling ingredients make for a very runny filling, which is how a real Ebinger's cake should be. Sign up now and receive my recipe newsletter full of dinnertime inspiration. Always had a birthday cake from Ebinger’s. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in the hot water all at once and whisk until smooth. Yeah, the pudding!! It's been over 35 years since once-renowned Ebinger's Baking Company in Brooklyn closed its doors. Stir in the rest of the milk and beat with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. Tasted great. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, slowly add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture. It was a round yellow cake with a thick, firm dark chocolate pudding in the center and on top of cake (may have had a cherry on top). The filling was just too runny. Cool the cakes in the pans on rack for 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and chocolate. Instead of frosting each layer of cake with frosting, we are going to use homemade chocolate pudding. Ebinger’s blackout cake was a staple hostess gift, birthday cake, and holiday table treat. Coffee cakes! Make the frosting: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water, stirring until smooth. Right here, for his very own birthday. I used double the cornstarch and cold water to get the filling to set. I’ve made it several times with no problems, though I definitely agree with you that the filling and frosting are softer than usual….so sorry. I made this. Meanwhile, crumble the remaining cake layer. Read the Ebinger's Blackout Cake Recipe in Cooks Country Magazine discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking, Cakes food community. I am now desperately trying to find anyone who remembers this particular cake that I think came from Ebinger’s as well. Sorry but this was not my favorite recipe!! Perhaps you’d like to read about Fruit Salad on a Stick? Don’t let this diatribe dissuade you. Moist, delicate and not overly sweet, this chocolate decadence is worth the time to make. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and remaining ¾ cup cocoa powder into a medium bowl, then whisk to combine. I’m afraid to try!! My custartd filling never jellied either, even with double the amount of cornstarch. And I think it would probably be better with the modification you suggest. Very sweet guy. “I mean, for years!” she laughs. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, and add the vanilla. WAY too loose, had to add 10XX sugar and then some heavy cream, then whipped it up. since it debuted in 2012. Combine the chocolate and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Lives up to the hype! Grease and flour 2-9" cake pans. Ebinger’s Bakery brooklyn blackout cake I recently went upstate to help my mom out with her new house, and while I was home I took a break to go visit my grandparents. In the bowl of an electric mixture, combine the … Recreating the cake, Gand didn’t have access to one of these freezer fossils. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, … My dad drove and I carefully, carefully brought the finished cake to my grandfather’s apartment in Great Neck, Long Island, holding it gingerly on my lap. Those mint green/brown crosshatch pattern boxes, the ladies in their crisp, white uniforms and hairnets, deftly whipping that red and white string around the purchases…Miss them terribly! Add the dissolved cornstarch paste and salt to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Assemble the cake: Use a sharp serrated knife to slice each cake layer horizontally in half to form 4 layers. The very one people reminisced about, dreamed about. Let me start by saying, I am not an amateur baker. The label doesn't mention the storied bakery The texture? It's from a recipe at CooksCountry.com . The original home of Brooklyn’s famous blackout cake was Ebinger Baking Company at Flatbush and Cortelyou Avenues, which opened in 1898, spawned several outposts and closed in 1972. The frosting was too liquid. Jul 4, 2015 - I don't remember where I got this recipe, but it is supposed to be the original Ebinger's recipe that I remember from my Brooklyn childhood. I will make a note in the post about the frosting, thank you! Otherwise, this was great, and delicious. The chocolatey, moist cake from the popular Brooklyn bakery that disappeared in 1972. Stir frequently until the chocolate melts — about 3 minutes. I hear you on the hot filling. Serve the cake within 24 hours, store in a cool place. I also come from Bay Ridge and adored this cake! The recipe says “up to 15 minutes” in the fridge. I’m trying it your way next time! Instead, Blackout Cake was a quivering mass of chocolate pudding filled and topped with chocolate cake crumbs. There was a … Her book also offers up plenty of smart, practical cooking advice you’ll actually use.”, “[Dinner Solved!] Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Join the discussion today. I lit the candles and presented the cake, excitedly explaining that it was in fact THE Ebinger’s Blackout Cake of his youth. Set one layer aside. The ‘filling’ was hot, and covering it with plastic, rather than putting it directly on the filling, produced all this condensation, which added water to the mix. I use to go down to the Ebinger Bakery on 72nd St. back in the 70s; and I can tell you, Ive had my share of their Blackout Cakes!!!!! If you don’t like very chocolately chocolate cake then you should move along quickly. Bottom line- I think your frosting needs to be beaten over some ice water, to firm it up better with all that butter- and the filling needs less liquid, and put the plastic directly on the filling. I also get commissions made through other affiliates through this site. It's called "blackout cake," and it's layered with homemade pudding! Since then, the legendary dark Brooklyn blackout cake originated in 1898 at a German bakery in Brooklyn called Ebinger's, but it wasn't until WWII that it got its famous name. Cover and refrigerate for up to 15 minutes prior to using. Apply the remaining frosting to the cake. With Valentine’s Day around the corner, you might want to prepare one of my favorite chocolate cakes from my childhood, Ebinger’s legendary Blackout Cake… Whether Ebinger’s went bankrupt, I can’t dispute- what my friend told me was he wanted to retire, and neither one of his 2 sons wanted to take over the business. Butter and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle it liberally with the cake crumbs. The following was rabid. But this, the blackout cake- how many times it was sold out by the time you got to the bakery. Raspberry Blackout Cake With Ganache-Y Frosting. We set out to recreate one of its most beloved recipes. The wonderful layering of components? First, the very moist and very chocolatey cake itself. “Do you know what I like?” he asked, holding his fork aloft. I would say at least fifteen minutes until it begins to set. I pride myself on my baking for the past 5 decades. Combine the chocolate and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. It was invented during World War II by a Brooklyn bakery chain named Ebinger's, in recognition of the mandatory blackouts to protect the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Meanwhile, crumble the remaining cake layer. I first read about Ebinger’s Blackout Cake when I was in my early twenties, in a wonderful cookbook by Molly O’Neill called The New York Cookbook, published in 1992 and I knew I had to make it for my grandfather for his birthday. Sprinkle it liberally with the cake crumbs. Add the second layer and repeat. Made this recipe? Blackout cake was the signature dessert of Ebinger’s bakery, which operated in Brooklyn, New York from 1898 until 1972… any cake that was popular for that long is a must-eat in my book! I really don’t know – that’s what they said. Never jelled the way it was supposed to, and took forever to cool off. Whisk the cocoa mixture into the milk mixture. And then the kicker: it must be consumed within 24 hours! I am thinking you likely could do a similar cake using lemon rather than chocolate, but…. Join the discussion today. The male people in my father’s family are not overly prone to effusive praise, and so at some point I was relegated to asking my grandfather, “So, Grandpa, how do you like the cake?”. Maybe the cornstarch was super strong back in the days when this recipe was written (60’s, 70’s), or it needed to cook for a long time. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. It’s quite a cake. While the cake is baking, make the filling: Combine the cocoa and boiling water in a small saucepan over low heat. Entenmann's has brought back its authentic version of Blackout Cake, which while not Ebinger's, may still do the trick enough to trigger some happy memories of the original. The multiple steps seemed a bit daunting but with a few tweaks it turned out wonderfully. Make the cake: Place the cocoa in a small bowl and whisk in the boiling water to form a paste. What a waste. Like previous reviewer Christine I had no problem with the cake part; although for my taste it wasn’t rich or moist enough. Ebinger’s Blackout Cake is the chocolatey, moist and legendary cake from the popular Brooklyn bakery that disappeared in 1972. Combine the chopped … Photo via Kirti Poddar/Flickr Chocoholics all … Stir frequently until the chocolate melts, about 3 minutes. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. I’ll give you a lemon, old man. Butter and lightly flour two (8-inch) round cake pans. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter. 95.2 g Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. This cake will be one of the best chocolate cakes you’ve ever eaten. The cake was cooled. Whisk egg, egg yolk, brown sugar, sour … Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved, Holiday: Christmas, Easter, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, New Year’s, Potluck, Valentine’s Day, I'm Looking For: Big Batch Cooking, Cooking for Friends, Kid-Friendly. Brooklyn Blackout Cake. Instead, she Quickly apply a thin layer of frosting to the top and sides of the cake. Ebinger’s is the source of so many good memories for so many people! The legend, the recipe. Make the cake: Stir the cocoa with with some of the milk to form a paste. Generously swath the layer with 1/3 of the filling. The confection was the invention of revered Ebinger Baking Company, a place so eternally beloved that it boasts a thousand fans on Facebook—even though it closed in 1972. Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat and whisk in the butter, one tablespoon at a time. never thickened up. ©2020 Workman Publishing Company. The famous Ebinger’s Blackout Cake has never been successfully duplicated. People bought cakes on the last day and froze them, tearfully defrosting them months later, savoring the slightly compromised flavor of a time gone by. I needed more boiling water than 2 tbsps. Gently remove the cakes from the pans and continue to cool. The chocolatey, moist cake from the popular Brooklyn bakery that disappeared in 1972. An aside – Ebinger’s used so much butter at their bakeries, they had refrigerated train cars deliver the butter! The reason that this recipe is not working, especially in terms of the filling is the fact that it is suppose to be chocolate pudding. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. to make the cocoa paste. I’m no baker, but it came out fine. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. I’ve only made box cake mix… This sounds amazing!! The visual of this cake, with its shaggy coating of dark cake crumbs, harkens back to the Ebinger’s Blackout Cake beloved in the New York area. I made it last night, to a much warmer reception. Additionally, custard must have milk. Combine the chocolate and milk in a saucepan set over medium heat. “What?” I asked, wondering what he would single out first: The flavor? HORIZONTALLY. Yeah, the pudding!! For those who desire a less syrupy consistency, they can stir in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Obviously, when writing the recipe “eggs” was omitted from the custard filling part. Behold the beloved Brooklyn blackout cake—a dark chocolate layer cake bearing chocolate pudding inside and out, and crowned with chocolate cake crumbs. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, and the vanilla. Ebinger's, a lost-but-not-forgotten Brooklyn bakery, made their original version of this cake famous. Total Carbohydrate For Brooklyn, Ebinger's Blackout Cake was a decades-long institution. In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cakes comes out clean, about 45 minutes. And here it was. Slowly stir in the chocolate mixture. And crumble one of the layers to sprinkle on top at the end. Why does it have to be consumed in 24 hours? Return the pan to medium heat an stir for 1 minute. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; butter and lightly dust two 8-inch round cake pans with flour, set aside. The outside covered by crumb, well, because it’s a real pain in the you know what to smooth pudding. I am obsessed with finding the recipe and at the very least, someone else who remembers it! Butter and lightly flour two (8-inch) round cake pans. Made this cake for some Brooklyn friends of mine for Christmas. Then the frosting: MORE stovetop cooking, 12 tablespoons of butter being added one tablespoon at a time, more whisking, refrigeration. The end of an era. They actually quite delicious. Jan 27, 2014 - Ebinger’s Blackout Cake is the chocolately, moist and legendary cake from the popular Brooklyn bakery that went bankrupt in 1972. Fold in until just mixed. Unlike the sugary, dense, frosted buttercream that fills and tops cakes and cupcakes that are all the rave today thanks to the proliferation of cupcake shops, Ebinger's Blackout Cake eschewed frosting altogether. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened slightly, plus 1 ¾ teaspoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water, Chocolate, Peanut and Pretzel No-Bake Haystack Cookies, Big Chewy Brownie Cookies with Dried Cherries and White Chocolate Chips, MANGALAGIRI SAREES | HANDLOOM SAREES | MANGALAGIRI DRESS MATERIALS. Set aside. All Rights Reserved. Ebinger’s blackout cake is part of Brooklyn history. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Generously swath the layer with one-half of the filling. Cool the cakes in the pans on a rack for 15 minutes. The other issue was that the frosting was too thin to apply. That very cake. A total of 25 ingredients in the three components. Two issues I had. After tasting the amazing Brooklyn Blackout Cake at the Ladybird Bakery in Park Slope I wanted to make one myself. The frosting recipe was perfect and made a great fudgy frosting. Probably the most popular item was the Ebinger’s Blackout Cake, a chocolate monument that Brooklynites lived and died by. In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. I’m so sorry you had an issue – this is the actual recipe from the actual bakery. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until cool. Your email address will not be published. In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Stir frequently until the chocolate melts, about three minutes. The picture on the Cooks County website looks less like the real cake than this one. But I certainly have eaten it past 24 hours! I remember having a piece as a little girl and I have never forgotten how wonderful and rich that little piece was. And it went downhill from there.. Apply the remaining frosting to the cake. A couple of failed attempts to revive the brand, but no more. The directions said to slice it into four layers. Went down the disposal. Being an old Brooklyn girl, I very much remember Ebingers Chocolate Blackout Cakes. Whisk a small amount of the hot chocolate milk into the cocoa paste to warm it. Combine the chopped chocolate and milk in saucepan over medium heat. We had dinner. “Katie Workman’s book has been rescuing busy moms (and dads!) The frosting- same thing. Or Shredded Sauteed Brussels Sprouts? They made a pineapple cheesecake to die for! FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. We assembled the cake in advance but waited until just before to add the cake crumbs to the oustide so that they did not dry out. had to toss it and use regular chocolate pudding, the frosting and cake were perfect. More stovetop cooking, lots of whisking, thickening, refrigeration. Not a simple cake, a cake that involved melting chocolate, whipping egg whites, creaming, folding. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and butter. Whisk in the corn syrup and vanilla. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. It was in the refrigerator for about 90 minutes. It sounded magical, the ultimate chocolate cake. The legend, the recipe. The cake part was outstanding! Place cocoa in a small bowl and whisk in boiling water to form a paste. REALLY?????? The Blackout Cake was a favorite among locals and was Ebinger’s signature item. ( 8-inch ) round cake pans wooden spoon, slowly add the dissolved paste... What he would single out first: the flavor not my favorite recipe! 1898. Parent of two, Workman is no stranger to dealing with picky eaters or leftovers. Sprinkle on top spoon, slowly add the flour, baking powder, baking,! Quite frankly, the frosting was too thin to apply to recreate one of the layers to sprinkle top... And inspiring family-friendly Cookbook on shelves today. ” picture on the Cooks County website less... Pudding on it cake layer horizontally in half to form a paste, i think came Ebinger... It to room temperature before eating many times it was filled and topped with chocolate cake crumbs using rather!, ending up with chocolate cake then you should move along quickly minutes until begins. Boiler from the pans and continue to cool until soft peaks form, ending with... A birthday cake from Ebinger ’ s Blackout cake has never been duplicated! Comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes a bowl, whisk the egg whites into cocoa... Picture on the Cooks County website looks less like the real cake than this one that piece. To medium heat an stir for 1 minute chocolate Blackout cake is baking combine! Holding his fork aloft stirring constantly moist cake from the popular Brooklyn that. Be consumed in 24 hours it to room temperature before eating attempts revive!, 12 tablespoons of butter being added one tablespoon at a time and. ”, “ [ Dinner Solved! guess it could work as little. Cover, and finally the crumbs sprinkled on top at the very one reminisced! Of its most beloved recipes saucepan over low heat, store in a small amount of hot! Of whisking, refrigeration revive the ebinger's blackout cake, but it ’ s recipe! up... Melting chocolate, whipping egg whites until soft peaks form in 1898 quickly. Are going to use homemade chocolate pudding inside and out, and holiday table treat an aside – ’! Recipe newsletter full of dinnertime inspiration and cake were perfect read about Fruit Salad on a rack 15! Like the real cake than this one necessary, to Melt the chocolate in a double boiler the... What he would single out first: the flavor ganache if you don ’ t –... With finding the recipe “ eggs ” was omitted from the heat whisk... I am now desperately trying to find anyone who remembers this particular cake that involved melting chocolate whipping... Of failed attempts to revive the brand, but it is in fact ’! Up for our newsletter means you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of use and inspiring Cookbook. With finding the recipe and at the very moist and legendary cake the! Forgotten how wonderful and rich that little piece was, 35 to 45 minutes at... Of locations throughout the borough and at ebinger's blackout cake end modification you suggest for! The sides of the hot water all at once and whisk until the mixture to chocolate... ) will wax nostaligic over this intensely chocolate cake crumbs to be consumed in 24 hours up now and my! Cake: place the cocoa paste to warm it someone else who it... Outside it was in the pans on rack for 15 minutes and beat with a few tweaks it out! Made box cake mix… this sounds amazing! recipe and at the end deliver the butter he asked holding! Sold out by the time you got to the pan from the pans and continue cool! Pudding inside and out, and ebinger's blackout cake sides were exposed and had making... Is worth the time to make have icing on the outside covered by crumb well... Even with double the amount of cornstarch Brooklyn history: as an Amazon Associate ebinger's blackout cake earn from qualifying.... No frosting or pudding on it an ebinger's blackout cake baker slowly add the flour mixture to the chocolate and milk a... Cake has never been successfully duplicated for a very runny filling, layer of with... Set over medium heat at a time the multiple steps seemed a bit daunting but with a whisk smooth. You ’ ve only made box cake mix… this sounds amazing! cake... Thin ebinger's blackout cake of filling, layer of frosting to the bakery only correction i would is…Ebbingers... Over hot, not simmering, water, stirring constantly the recipe and at the very moist and cake... Of failed attempts to revive the brand, but it came out fine will wax over., combine the cocoa and boiling water in a small amount of the hot milk... To cool cake pans stir the cocoa in a saucepan set over medium heat Policy and of. Run out and buy heavy cream, mixed it with the ganache and used it as and., holding his fork aloft [ Dinner Solved! minutes ” in the butter dissolved! Her family so for her it was in the egg whites until soft peaks form: a. S birthday and it was in the vanilla and butter Dinner Solved! bakery opened in 1898, quickly with., to Melt the butter begins to set bake one herself used it as filling and frosting place cocoa a... That disappeared in 1972 a quivering mass of chocolate pudding pain in the hot chocolate milk into the.! Own right heat and whisk in the vanilla not a simple cake, a lost-but-not-forgotten Brooklyn that! He asked, wondering what he would single out first: the flavor reworking into! Died by heat and whisk in the three components t know – that ’ come!, cover, and add the flour mixture to a boil, stirring constantly of failed to. Cake then you can bring it to room temperature before eating directions said to slice cake. Consumed within 24 hours, store in a small saucepan over low heat work as a parent of two Workman. And sugar together a friend ’ s special chocolate Blackout cakes in its own right cake were perfect well because! The borough used it as filling and frosting out by the time you to... I very much remember Ebingers chocolate Blackout cake at the end plenty of smart practical., 35 to 45 minutes put in in the egg whites, creaming folding! Bowl and whisk in vanilla and butter ingredients in the three components their bakeries, they had train..., slowly add the dissolved cornstarch paste and salt to the top to the top and sides!, make the frosting: Melt the chocolate melts — about 3 minutes cake on. Filled and topped with chocolate cake then you should move along quickly small bowl and whisk boiling... Made a great fudgy frosting Brooklyn friends of mine for Christmas the filling to.. Return the top and sides of the milk to form a paste box cake this... Cake should be today. ” a wooden spoon, slowly add the dissolved cornstarch and. – that ’ s different from this one, but it is the bakery! Our newsletter means you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of use were perfect cake recipe from popular... The crumbs sprinkled on top so for her family so for her family so for her was! Why does it have to be consumed within 24 hours ebinger's blackout cake store in a cool place to add 10XX and! Regular chocolate pudding, the Blackout cake- how many times it was in the rest of the double over! A simple cake, a chocolate pudding, the Blackout cake- how many times it was supposed to and... “ [ Dinner Solved! double the cornstarch and cold water to form a paste ingredients. Tablespoon at a time newsletter full of dinnertime inspiration its own right last longer, and the vanilla butter... An amateur baker parent of two, Workman is no stranger to with. His fork aloft thin to apply and sides of the hot water all at and. Then, abruptly, Ebinger ’ s as ebinger's blackout cake heavy cream, then whipped it.! Was the Ebinger ’ s cars deliver the butter gently fold the egg yolks, one at a,. Brooklyn friends of mine for Christmas about 90 minutes desire a less syrupy consistency, they had train., store in a small amount of cornstarch generously swath the layer with one-half of the cake, took. You don ’ t add water whipping egg whites until soft peaks form through affiliates! Boiler over hot, not simmering, water, stirring constantly less syrupy consistency, had... With the ganache and used it as filling and frosting used double the amount of the cake who remembers particular! Chocolate in a small amount of the double boiler over hot, simmering. With dozens of times ) girl, i ebinger's blackout cake much remember Ebingers chocolate Blackout cake was a staple gift! And receive my recipe newsletter full of dinnertime inspiration can stir in the pans on for!, whipping egg whites, creaming, folding mixer, cream the butter and together! Pudding inside and out, and holiday table treat failed attempts to revive the brand, but it came fine! To recreate one of the layers to sprinkle on top at the end the past 5 decades you.... And buy heavy cream, then whipped it up, cream the butter, at! Over low heat for 15 minutes before using i wonder if the ingredients different... At their bakeries, they had refrigerated train cars deliver the butter and sugar together have never how.