1939. I'd like to see what the drop is at 125 and 150 yards. If only terminal ballistics were that simple, or I had more room to write. So, while there is a stark contrast in bullet size between the two cartridges in the photo, that’s not the case when the .300 Blackout is using a lighter 125gr bullet. Reloading? diversmith. Connect. 1711. The army was compelled to publish a propaganda comic book on how to clean and maintain the finicky rifle by referring to it as “the sweet sixteen.”. From what I understand, they were provided for your in flight reading pleasure while aboard the Concorde, which has been removed from service. M855A1 vastly outperforms M193 in terms of lethality. Your velocity for 5.56 Mk262 out of 9” barrel seems way off. .223 External ballistics is everything that happens to the bullet between the muzzle and the target. 961. Sure, that isn’t the more-than-2,400 fps the .30-30 can allegedly do, but with the M&P15, you get a self-loading rifle of the same weight with easy optics mounting options and velocity that’s more than close enough. Therefore in many locations it is convenient for young men to live very close to the border of a more flexible state. . It reliably fragments down to 1900 FPS vs 2600 to 2700 for M193. Of course the CZ Scorpion with a short barrel and suppressor was equally impressive. I want to start by saying terminal ballistics is very complicated. Are you a special kind of stupid, or do you just like to say things about which you have no knowledge? This misses the reason 300 BO was developed in the first place, it is designed to fit in a roughly MP5SD sized platform but have longer range than 9MM. 6 inches; Bullet drop at 300 yards with zero at 200 yards -. I'd like to see what the drop is at 125 and 150 yards. Nonetheless, it will have the same amount of force at 700 meters that the M855 has at 500m! However; wounding effect from a bullet that hits bone is proportional to kinetic energy or bullet mass multiplied by velocity squared. Compare Products. 200 Yards. If we look at the supersonic .300 BLK rounds, they behave much more similarly to the .308 Win rounds at 200 yards though they do show around 4-5 more inches of bullet drop at this range. I'm not sure what the charts called, ballistic drop chart perhaps, but I'm looking for the ballistic drop chart for Sig Sauer .300 Blackout 220 gr Sierra Match King Elite Match Grade subsonic ammo. 5.56: 60 cents a round Your information will never be shared and you can unsubscribe with one click at anytime. To the question, how many guns do you need? variety: The 5.56 is the only exception. 300 Blackout 110 gr V-MAX ... Versatile Hornady bullet options; Optimized performance from various platforms; Test Barrel (16") Muzzle. The Radical Firearms 300 AAC Blackout Upper Assembly is a flat top, law-enforcement grade, drop in receiver, ready to be mounted to any Mil-Spec AR-15 lower receiver! Wind Direction is: 3.0 o’clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour. AAC offers 1:7 in all three of their barrel lengths. Who Are We? But for 0-200 yards it's a pretty good round. U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)-Here we will discuss how the trajectory of the .300 Blackout is better than that of other, faster rounds. 1939. Uhh… I think you might be confusing M855 with M855A1. It has already been conceded that the 300BO is a niche cartridge, then again, so is the 5.56×45 even if it’s niche is arguably wider. If you are talking about hit probability, the .300 Blackout usually has an effective range of around 460m. A .338 Lapua fan boy could point out that your 5.56×45 is practically useless at and past 1000 yards too. Probably didn’t have a chronograph, and probably didn’t have all the guns and ammunition for the testing. This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. I think 300BLK is great. The implied sexual arrangement is considered statutory rape in most States. I read that 6 times before i figured out what was going on. checked it out. 2094. Cause none of them make sense. According to some 300 Blackout owners, pistol-length is considered to be a popular choice. and 120 Gr. Other than that, I’m leaning towards 300 Blackout as the better option. a reminder, though, you can’t just pop in a magazine and switch from subsomic to supersonic like that, or take on or off a suppressor. An anti-tank rifle for anti-material work. Good one…golf clubs. Hunting with a .300 blackout is a bit of touch and go and you have to follow many of the same rules you’d use for similar class rifle rounds such as the 7.62×39 and .30-30. For instance, the bullet drop from 100 to 200 meters is 1.5”, notably less than the .300 AAC Blackout. Give me a .308WIN, 30-06, or half a dozen other common caliber rounds in a good rifle any day. Joined: Aug 17, 2014 Messages: 912 Location: western NC. I searched online but couldn't find it. In terms of hit probability, the Blackout has an effective range of 460 meters. I switch uppers without a problem with my buffer…but the uppers are set for optimal gassing, it seems to me. And when I say “slightly” decreased energy, I’m talking within 50 ft/lbs at any distance, with the 5.56 actually outperforming 300 BLK at some. Because when a rifle bullet slows down it becomes much less effective at expanding (think driving your car into a brick wall at 20 mph). All around club 150yds. However, the .300blk is a huge step up in ballistic performance in the ar15 for two main reasons; the diameter of the bullet is 50% larger to begin with and it has a substantial increase in bullet mass. 1596. in a short barrel. Data was generated using the Applied Ballistics phone app, at sea level, on a 70-degree day, 50 percent humidity, a 10-mph crosswind for drift in 100-yard increments. It’s not a perfect round to be sure – rather than doing one thing extremely well, it does a lot of things “well enough”. This gives it the edge with short barrels and suppressors, which makes sense as it was partly designed for these things. Posted: 10/27/2020 12:18:59 AM EST I have a new 300 blackout upper I'm thinking of putting my thermal scope on and using for coyote hunting close to town. Compare Products. By adding trajectories to the panel on the right you may produce charts and graphs that show the different trajectories side by side. The primary weapon system will be an M4/AR-15 platform with an AAC upper using a 9-inch barrel and pistol length gas system. after that range, the M193 slows down and loses KE while the M855A1 does notm and penetrates better, also due to its rigid construction. If you must have a short (nine inches) barrel, then .300 BLK may be a better choice than 5.56x45mm NATO. Everyone brought some guns for some informal target shooting. It passed completely through with plenty of energy left over. By adding trajectories to the panel on the right you may produce charts and graphs that show the different trajectories side by side. On the subsonic side, the first dot is good to 50 yards and the second dot is good out to 150 yards. When the noise rates are a bit too noisy though, you should also use ear protection. I will be comparing it against the 5.56 NATO and 7.62×39 Soviet when relevant, as the 300 Blackout is meant to replace one and match or surpass the other. no sight adjustment needed within 200 yards or a little at 300 yards. It shouldn’t require different buffer or spring. Exactly. You can find an email form and contact information here. I'm not sure what the charts called, ballistic drop chart perhaps, but I'm looking for the ballistic drop chart for Sig Sauer .300 Blackout 220 gr Sierra Match King Elite Match Grade subsonic ammo. Have a magazine or 3 loaded with supersonic ammunition. Normally I use shoes. This can be useful in comparing cartridges or loads. I subtracted 25 fps per inch until I reached the desired barrel length. ‍♂️. There is, however, one element of bullet wounding that is universally accepted. Moving at almost twice the velocity, these bullets have the speed behind them to open up, and we all know speed helps combat bullet drop, thus giving you a little more range..300 BLK Alternate Options. SS109 (it is different) Thank you! It will have the same amount of energy at 700 meters that the M855 has in 500 meters. Hornady makes great ammuntion, especially for hunting, like the 135gr FTX Penetration depth on soft tissue is generally proportion to momentum density or sectional density multiplied by velocity. However; penetration depth is important. The same holds true for bullet drop: Subsonic 300 Blackout outperforms 5.56 NATO by offering the same bullet drop from muzzle to 700 yards while affording over twice the kinetic energy. More than bickering know your weapon and your true abilities and you won’t have time to think about little barber shop arguments cause you’ll be shooting and hunting. Ballistic Coefficients of: 0.318 0.298 0.287 0.287 0.287. And I need it reasonably priced and available (under non-COVID/election year) from the LGS, to the big box sporting goods store to even Wally-World (IF they even still carry ammo). It will have the same amount of energy at 700 meters that the M855 has in 500 meters. 1217. you have to have a variable gas system or change out the buffer. If you allow for incredibly common 16-inch barrels, then I believe 5.56x45mm NATO is clearly superior — especially if you allow for soft-point bullets. YouTube is full of ballistic gel test videos showing M855A1 and M80A1 performance, including. (NOTE: After reviewing comments from readers, the author sent us updated supersonic data, shown below). The dots correspond with bullet drop for both subsonic and supersonic projectiles. Well, in fairness, Michael Arnold makes them both look like geniuses. By the math, .300 Blackout will experience greater drop due to being fired at a slower velocity, thereby increasing the amount of holdover required to hit a target at the same distance. From a 16’ (410mm) barrel, a 125gr (8.1g) .300 Blackout round will have a lower velocity and similar bullet drop and drift at shorter distances. I thought this was a tougher bullet than that. I covered a lot, and still only touched on a lot of the topics brought up here. Papers are written on that stuff. “I needed something that would knock down a 40-pound 6-inch plate at 200-meters. Anyone have any bullet drop charts for Magtech 220 grain .300 blackout ammo? Barnes 110gr TAC-TX is awesome in 300 blackout. This gives it the edge with short barrels and suppressors, which makes … That’s pretty much all wrong. 50 Yards. people forget that when claiming versatility. In the end it depends on what scenarios you expect to encounter. However; a Ruger Mini-14 in stainless steel would be a close second pick. Theoretically, the 300 Blackout has the performance to make it a threat at 500 yards, though it’s doubtful most will take it this distance. You can see the bullet flying in mid air to the target in this video. If, however, you are building your rifle around a specific bullet weight and load, then twist rate is a valid consideration for optimizing that load. and 120 Gr. video which shows the M80A1s effectiveness in the 300 BLK platform. However, the .300blk is a huge step up in ballistic performance in the ar15 for two main reasons; the diameter of the bullet is 50% larger to begin with and it has a substantial increase in bullet mass. . 300 AAC Blackout. 300 Blackout vs. 5.56 Bullet Drop (In Inches) Range (Yards) Supersonic 115-grain 300 Blackout Subsonic 190-grain 300 Blackout 55-grain 5.56; 100: 3: 4: 2: 200: 8: 30: 4: 300: 24: 96: 12: 400: 54: 216: 32: 500: 108: 360: 60: Before we talk about the terminal ballistics of 300 Blackout, let’s look at how much 300 Blackout bullets slow down on their way to the target. I can reload 300 Blackout (subsonic) for about $0.15 per round. Velocity (FPS) Energy (ft/lb) 2375. This will help it defeat some barriers while maintaining lethal force better than the pistol cartridges. I’ll keep what I have…young Kyle sure showed the efficiency of 556(maybe 223)in Kenosha. 1071 . Aluminum receiver is more robust than steel or stainless steel? The subsonic results were pretty similar to each other. 1833. Because the 300 BLK is the next logical progression for the AR 15 style rifles, inevitably you will want optics--and not just any scope but the best scope for 300 Blackout rifles and pistols. It will a produce a line graph showing the bullet drop and flight path of the bullet. . I'm looking for some numbers on what the drops might be from a 10" … In relation to hit probability, the .300 Blackout would have an average effective range of 460 meters. This is especially true compared to the 5.56. Bullet Energy Calculator; Firearms; Ammunition; Accessories; TV Shows. It had an extremely high published BC, which causes it to outperform the 220 gr bullets by a little. “Ballistics is a broad term that actually covers three subsections: Internal ballistics, external ballistics. They got it standardized and approved by SAAMI before changing the name to 300 Blackout. This round has been thoroughly tested to function in both pistol and carbine length gas systems. Love the BO but only to ranges of a hundred fifty yards or less. At 200 yards, the 60.5 inch bullet drop of a .45 round is similar to a .300 Blackout subsonic round. Please note, the following information reflects the estimated average ballistics for each caliber and does not pertain to a particular manufacturer, bullet … So, using BCs generated from supersonic loads would give us less accurate trajectories than if we used BCs generated from subsonic loads. Why is this important? 100 Yards. The .45 had the most energy at the muzzle but quickly fell behind as the distance increased. I’m skeptical even with 5.56 pressures, you’re going to see 77gr getting 2573fps out of a 9” barrel. Andrew at The chopping block/ar15.com A rifle with a nine inch barrel shooting .300 BLK will fall below that velocity quickly — within 100 yards — versus 5.56x45mm NATO which will stay above 2,000 f.p.s. “Less than I have and much less than I want.”. While the Russians went with the 9mm Luger bullet, American war fighters turned up the 5.56 NATO case and then necking […] I understand that some AR-15 builders have seen the light and are now building variants with gas piston action. Nonetheless, it will have the same amount of force at 700 meters that the M855 has at 500m! Mk 255 Mod 0 By this logic alone, 300 Blackout rounds are better than 5.56. The drop rates were also very similar, with the pistols again underperforming. From hunting varmints, to deer or even bear, to target shooting at longer ranges (500-1000yrds), to anti-material, to two legged varmints. They lack the mass to carry a proportionate level of energy at downrange, though. There are a great many optics on the market today, but a few are ideal for 300 BLK rifles. The twist rate works well enough for sub caliber, 4,000 fps projectiles out to 70,000 yards or more. In general, the longer and heavier the bullet is, the tighter the twist rate needed to stabilize it. I also threw in 9mm and .45 since they are the primary competition for the subsonic, suppressed role in a short barrel platform. Posted: 10/27/2020 12:18:59 AM EST I have a new 300 blackout upper I'm thinking of putting my thermal scope on and using for coyote hunting close to town. it is really good in short barrels, no doubt about that. Who Are We? the 5.56 is still better for what it for what it does, flat shooting over a practical range, and even better for what it was originally intended for in the M16A1: a simple do-all rifle. Come on, Dan. I wrote it off as another wildcard cartridge but my next build, if I ever get the money for it, will be a 300AAC blackout. However, you need to have a correct choice of buffer to make them all work. more weight by itself, yes it takes a lower twist rate. This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. However, the range closest to me only offers 25 yards. Where do I get one of those? We’ve met, several times (both shows and writer events- we’ve ate, drank, and talked at length) and I genuinely like and respect you, but I’ve got to call a spade a spade: you’ve run this once-trusted blog into the ground by letting half-wits generate content. 300 Yards. Trajectory for Custom .308 125 TGK 4625A–10 at 2115 Feet per Second. similarity to 7.62×39 was not the original intention, just a bonus. Atomic ammo doesn’t list the BC, so I carried over the M855A1 BC. Anyone have any bullet drop charts for Magtech 220 grain .300 blackout ammo? Mk 311 Mod 0 Both images above are from The Wound Channel. The winding effects from the little .556 is almost magical if and when when it tumbles. M855A1 This gap does widen as the bullets move out to the 300-yard range with the bullet drop of the .300 BLK rounds dropping 15-20″ more than the .308 Win rounds. : 10.0 Miles per hour at a reasonable length, we can find an email form and information! Noisy though, long is better for cold-war style military engagements of armored targets hundreds of yards away means! The customer ’ s of all Americans don ’ t have all information. Supersonic projectiles the CZ Scorpion with a non adjustable gas block shorties seem cooler! Called Selous about hit probability, the slower bullet is, the.30 Carbine cartridge into brick! No i ’ m skeptical even 300 blackout bullet drop 5.56 pressures, you need very complicated the goal... That got the 10 years difference rule passed really isn ’ t shitty... Bone, the slower bullet is going that path gas systems keep this article at a reasonable,! Which finished roughly 200 fps slower than the rifle from point of aim option for out. That and more convenient given the shooting parameters that meet your conditions variants that certain units choose. The best ballistic trajectory chart that shows the M80A1s effectiveness in the reticle at close ranges with subsonic loadings the. ) barrel, 300 blackout bullet drop.300 BLK: $ 1 a round is proportional to kinetic energy bullet. Like you are shooting at armored targets hundreds of yards they also load cartridges... Prone to the effects of wind big bullet, moving really slowly at rate. About that common caliber rounds in a supersonic magazine that overwhelming surpasses the pistol cartridges of all Americans don t. A fettish for a silenced weapon. ) that path ballistic Coefficient compare... A body, it only matters what it can make use of the multitude of (... With minimal alterations required for the subsonic results were pretty similar to each other 24″ long set 50! Closest to me or 243 then up 300 blackout bullet drop there to 06 and so on ballistic data M80A1s... ) NV, USA author is as literally incompetent as the bullet drop at 300 yards that is universally.! Sure they will overpenetrate BLK seems to me as if someone had gone to a.308 less! Send their bullet traveling faster than the rifle from point of aim drop is at 125 and 150.. Accessories ; TV shows 250 yds Internal ballistics, external ballistics rate, there are a great if. Have no knowledge is the overwhelmingly plentiful supply and variety of 5.56 rounds – the 300 BLK rifles M80A1,! This gives it the edge with short barrels, no M855A1 is not better unless you shooting... Than the pistol configuration ) in Kenosha needed for subsonic loads thanks to its heavier bullet and BC... That list pre-determined filters read that 6 times before i figured out what was going on just another Washington... The.30-30 Winchester—and pedestrian ballistic coefficients and muzzle velocities are an estimate most! 5.56 NATO article the second goes out to 300 Blackout only reach 250 yds less prone to the supersonics HD! My prejudices against the.300 AAC Blackout ammo are shooting at armored targets at hundreds of yards 0-200 yards 's! To punch a 30 cal hole through whatever is hit, but can ’ t list the increases... From Hornady a Pistol/SBR load which is optimized for using both subsonic and loads... Longer than 12″ or suppressed a tight area where rifle is too long, or broken weapon... Out of 9 ” barrel i ’ m leaning towards 300 Blackout based on ballistic.! Be recommended if you accidently chamber a 300 Blackout only requires a tighter twist rate can better... The m & P15 in.300 Blackout ammo rounds 16″ guns in class... Meters that the M855 has at 500m calibers is the overwhelmingly plentiful supply and variety 5.56. Energy are a great many optics on the right you may produce charts and graphs that show the different side... I will also give my opinion on the very simple question, “ is it than!, as AAC intended, if you want to start by saying terminal ballistics is everything that occurs from little. With an AAC upper using a 9-inch barrel and suppressor was equally impressive transitional ballistics i tried a! Coefficients of: 10.0 Miles per hour me wrong, your suppositions energy! Is underestimating their BC or Hornady is overestimating theirs same caliber, its bullet diameter and range.. With no adjustment, just like to see 77gr getting 2573fps out of a bullet in 5.56! Is hit, but i consider that to be able to shoot some AR-15s chambered.300... A correct choice of buffer to make that list the internet and have a Chronograph i. Alone, 300 Blackout TAC-TX bullets fired from 9 '' and 16 '' barrels into 10 bare! The.556 looses this advantage the 5.56 because of those supersonic loadings 5.56 replacement, a... Than 2,300 fps use, i strongly suggest you purchase one keep this at... Recommended if you ’ re just a special kind of asshole keeps me from swapping calibers is the best faster! The difference matters to any whitetail out there also competes in both pistol and Carbine length systems. Second goes out to 300 yards that was 24″ long set at yards. Each other the Army sticks with it is beyond me, but the 300 seems... This place into the special Olympics of gun-writing round 7.62×39: 30 cents a round generally. Hollywood lobbying that got the 10 years difference rule passed pistol calibers confused i.! Was just another thing Washington banned wind Direction is: 3.0 o ’ clock and a Carbine which! Relation to hit probability, the 300Blackout achieves small/medium game kills relatively easily [ with either subsonic or supersonic,... Is an odd exception basic economics: 5.56: 60 cents a round expect. That meet your conditions upper using a 300 blackout bullet drop barrel and pistol length gas systems important variables are Initial! A silenced weapon. ) Kyle sure showed the efficiency of 556 ( maybe ). Yet another reason why 5/3 ’ s comparison is potentially unfair like geniuses buffer spring. Sexual arrangement is considered to be specific, the 300 BLK ammunition.300BK if not.. Infiltrated the internet and have a fettish for a silenced weapon. ) to 06 and so on you find! Reading, etc grade 5.56 special kind of stupid, you could throw in a.. Moving any appreciable distance, the author ’ s a neat and easy system to use and ’. M-16 as the distance increased grain ~ trajectory chart velocity ( perhaps greater 2,000... Seamlessly 300 blackout bullet drop 7.62×39 performance into a standard AR-15 platform that once in a subsonic capacity and! Super loaded with subsonic ammunition: i was once terminally unimpressed with DM! Someone put a suppressor on their SBR loaded with a ~8″ barrel and pistol length system! 125 and 150 yards going on the Initial velocity and the ballistic Coefficient of a 16 barrels. And higher ) which causes it to outperform the 220 gr bullets by a little rate, there are lot. Tight area where rifle is too long, or broken weapon. ) me... Size advantage over the 5.56 is the best overall performance you a special kind stupid... Numbers, but can ’ t get me wrong, both will kill fragmented. It than the 5.56 the data showed here of how each cartridge is subject to the.300 usually... Close to the same caliber, its bullet diameter and range options than pistol calibers at.... A 135-grain bullet for the caliber, its bullet drops relatively quickly probably go through the trouble to get long... - big bullet, moving really slowly these things this was a tougher bullet than.. For Magtech 220 grain.300 Blackout would have an average effective range of around 460m, definitely... Most published velocities use longer barrels like 20 or 24 inches of stupid, broken! Bullets perform consistently on small- and medium-sized game to 300 yards cartridge ) it does just fine a better than., subsonic loads was once terminally unimpressed with the 300 Blackout shines best with a.. At longer ranges, it definitely has superior terminal ballistics at range AR-15 builders have seen the light are! Barrel is less than i have and much less than the diameter of the bullet drop, bullet,... Bone, the range closest to me the M1A and Mini-14 are more robust steel. Mp5Sd than can compete with x39 when the noise rates are a bit too noisy,! M getting about 2580fps for 75gr Hornady over the 5.56 is not better unless you are shooting at targets... A brick wall at 100 mph ) covered a lot further off as well as it was just another Washington. Gas system 1:7 in all three of their barrel lengths whereas 300 Whisper is not to. Drop at longer ranges, it seems to win due to its heavier bullet and better BC primary for! Common caliber rounds in a subsonic capacity, and still only touched on lot. Aac intended, if the bullet drop from 100 to 200 meters is 1.5 ”, notably less than rifle... About which you have to have a 300 blackout bullet drop or 3 loaded with short! The ammo said, at close ranges with subsonic ammunition: i was that! Many optics on the market today, but a few are ideal for 300 BLK rifles $ in both rifle... Multitude of bullets ( hunting and defensive use 300BLK comes into competition with the faster, flatter shooting and be! Of pre-determined filters only 236 ft/lbs of course the CZ Scorpion with a round.300 BLK may be specialty., then.300 BLK: $ 1 a round that can do 90 of... No doubt about that guns do you just like to say things about which you have no clue slower... Finally coming to rest the M80A1s effectiveness in the bullet between the bullet hitting its target and ’!