I cheated a little though. No, it isn’t. I think I could have easily gone down a size, particularly in the shoulders/upper bodice. I lengthened them just 1″ and  added to the seam allowance to give me a 5/8″ seam all the way around. Theoretically, that should have made the jacket smaller by 1/4″ at each seam (so a full inch smaller all around). I now know why Chanel jackets are so incredibly expensive. Kit’s dress is the Wiksten Smock and her tights are from the Little Collective. Your tips about making it reversible with batik cotton is spot-on, just my kind of sewing project. Pattern: Wiksten Haori. Definitely planning on making one. I then added 2″ to the length as a cheater full-bust adjustment and additional butt coverage. And I will definitely being using your taped seams idea. out in frustration. I honestly can’t think of a good reason to, even with my kooky loose weave fabric. By the way, a tip I found during my research phase is that the overcollar and undercollar are the exact same size so there’s no point in printing the piece for the undercollar. Originally The Wiksten Haori (formerly the Wiksten Kimono) ... Fitting: I made the mid-length version in a size small which is where my measurements put me (35-27-38). ... Wiksten Haori). The design includes three different lengths to choose from—short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length). This is my second Wiksten pattern and the instructions are reliably clear and beginner friendly. McCalls 6224 Pattern ( Size 4-5-6 ) $13.95Pattern Reply. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. Pattern reviews help sewers choose the right patten so that they have success with their sewing ... Online Sewing Class: ... McCalls 7894 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 ) $20.95Pattern. I have just put together the Haori pattern and plan to make a wearable toile this week. Technically, these measurements fall outside of the size chart you see on the back of the pattern. It’s especially a lot for a pattern company I had never heard of, much less used before. Fully lined and reversible (but with pocket on only one side), it looks more complicated to make than it actually is. Since the fit of this top is loose, I cut the smallest size. Worn with vintage Levi’s and Sevilla Smith shoes. They credit Joemy Ito-Gates for bringing this to their attention, and I applaud them for making the change. Thanks for an honest review; I also find many patterns to be fairly expensive, so it’s really helpful to know what I’d be getting. There are only 2 photos though, so maybe we aren’t seeing the whole picture. LLADYBIRD March 15, 2019 at 1:34 pm # Hi! I am now a full-blown Wiksten Haori fan girl and there is no looking back, guys! But overall it’s just too big. It can easily be completed in a day which, although I love more complex projects such as jeans or collars, is so rewarding. It comes in short, mid and long lengths (I have made the mid-length jacket and am about 5ft 7" tall). Thank you for making and talking about this pattern. Thankfully, I chose correctly. It’s not often that I find fabrics I MUST HAVE. I then added 2″ to the length as a cheater full-bust adjustment and additional butt coverage. The individual yarns of the weave keep snagging and I’m just afraid of damaging it if I wear it out of the house. Smart! I avoided this pattern at first, as I prefer fitted jackets to loose-fitting styles. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. Apparently, it was originally a little too roomy and everyone opted to size down, so it was re-released in a slimmer silhouette. Author Catherine Wendland Posted on March 20, 2019 March 21, 2019 Categories Uncategorized Tags archer button up, glasswing, grainline studio, inspiration, kamm pants, mbrrose, merchant and mills, mnflint, persephone pants, rtw, seamwork, wiksten, wiksten haori 1 … I’m pretty pissed at myself for that. Dana set out to make the very popular Wiksten Haori Kimono Jacket, and delivered with this beautiful combination! My bust measurement put me between a medium and large and my waist measured into a medium. My main fabric is fairly thick so I wanted to avoid the fold over collar having too much stiffness. Recommended for Everyone Review has 3 Helpful 2 Very Helpful ratings Posted 2020-08-09 20:17:55. The shoulder and side seams were pressed open and finished separately, but I bound the seams attaching the sleeves to the coat together. But on a recent visit to a local fabric store (Bolt, such a great store!! The pattern lacks notches everywhere except on the collar. I realize that this is a natural tendency of mine. Reply. I made no changes to this Wiksten Haori yet it works really well as a reversible jacket as drafted. It looked AMAZING! It should be linked in the blog post:) You can also Google Wiksten Haori if the link isn’t working. I am now a big fan of the Wiksten Haori jacket. The cover image reminds me of a Japanese cultural exhibit I worked on many, many moons ago when I was a photo assistant at the UCLA Fowler Museum. I don’t know what adjustments were made for her, but it’s much more flattering on her than on me. Both fabrics pressed beautifully and everything came together as instructed without a hitch. But I’m dismayed that this is such an expensive buy for what is a pretty simple pattern. A cult classic of all sewists, I originally thought Jenny was a Bay Area local and flocked to A Verb for Keeping Warm to purchase the physical pattern. The pattern is billed as very roomy, intended to be oversize. It was originally named using the word “Kimono” for a variety of reasons: of course to acknowledge it’s Japanese inspiration, but also in reference to the style of sleeve construction that is widely referred to in pattern drafting books as a “Kimono Sleeve.”¹. So even though I mainly ignored the instructions, they are very clear and have great illustrations. Print layout included: yes, page 1 of the pattern file. Given how I usually have to shorten garments, I opted for the short version of the Haori in size XL. 6 more reviews . I will design my own! I don’t love the finished piece. Sizes: XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL. The design includes three different lengths to choose from-- short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length). Hi, I’m Paulette Erato. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. 345 Views. Required fields are marked *, #mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; } I loved your tie in from the Met too. For the lining I went with a fusible knit interfacing, also from Joann fabric. Whenever there is a whole lot of hype surrounding something new (think movies or bands) I tend to hold back. I had the immense pleasure of pattern testing the new Wiksten Kimono, which first appeared as the Oversized Kimono Jacket in Making Magazine No. My first Wiksten Haori – reversible with one linen side and one hemp/cotton side As much as I like the idea of my first Wiksten Haori , it’s just not the ideal shape for me. I have been happy with everything I have ordered from them. Alterations: 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment. It’s one of the simplest and yet still most expensive patterns I own. It didn’t just fray—it completely unraveled! -The size grading is a bit more nuanced in this new version, and you’ll find that an extra size has been added-- an XXS. It’s probably the fondness for those memories that led me to jump on this pattern. Wiksten Haori in Quilted Kantha October 6, 2019 No Comments. Attached Hood Self Lined Size 6 - 8Size 10 - 14Size 16 - 18 120cm wide, with or without nap0.75M0.75M0.75M 140cm wide, with or without nap0.65M0.75M0.75M 150cm wide, with or … From Wiksten’s own post about the change: This jacket takes obvious inspiration from the beautiful, historical clothing styles of Japan. Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website. Just don’t forget to cut out 4 of the collar pieces! This was my first introduction to Wiksten, who only recently started making adult patterns again. But the instructions actually call for edge stitching instead of invisible hand stitching. That is a fact. (We highly recommend having the pattern printed on a large format printer at a copy shop. I initially traced the XS because this has an over-sized fit and some people have sized down for that. Isn’t it a kimono? The oversized nature of this garment makes it likely to fit sizes larger than shown on the size chart, but the effect will be more fitted than shown in the photos. It is fabulously versatile and easy to wear. The right fabric can make a simple project that much more gratifying and fulfilling. I cut this one to the "mid" length. I went with a small but I’ve seen people choosing to size down two sizes for their Wiksten Haori’s. I knew this jacket was going to have some structure and girth so I did decide to size down, but I did not want to loose too much for the oversized look intended in the drafting. I think this aspect is basically an expectation for modern PDF patterns at this point, much like indoor plumbing is in our homes. Like I wanna resist a sweeping trend, which follows me since my high school years at least. This jacquard has a slight distressed appearance with the most amazing texture and ultimate squishiness. It’s a good thing I didn’t line it because it is definitely too damn big. /* Add your own Mailchimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block. I do, however, commend Wiksten for being culturally sensitive and changing the name. Sure it comes with 3 lengths, but there is nothing much different other than the size of the pockets. Purchase Wiksten Haori and read its pattern reviews. Effortless Versatility: Laela Jeyne Samantha – Pattern Review, Blank Slate Patterns – Sew My Style 2020 Designer Q&A, Kingston vs Stevie: 2 Denim Jacket Patterns Compared. Really appreciated your honest review of the pattern, price point too & being a PDF. Fabric: Outer fabric (55% hemp, 32% organic cotton & 13% wool ) purchased from The Drapery in 2015 and Japanese cotton from The Cloth Shop [sold out] was used as the lining. I believe that the main fabric I used for this Haori has a bit more drape than recommended, but using a less drape-y lining fabric really countered any potential issues. Yes, I know they are made with the highest level of couture techniques, but this loose weave has the power to drive a person insane. Japanese Festival Arts exhibit, the ones I remember best are a variety of very old heavy coats used by Japanese firemen in the Meiji period. Even though that is what this style of sleeve is usually referred to as it’s not technically correct. I might be the last blogger to make this lovely jacket. I still pulled a bunch of loose yarns (not thread—yarn!) Given how I usually have to shorten garments, I opted for the short version of the Haori in size XL. Summer kimonos are fabulous! The Wiksten Haoriis a Japanese-inspired jacket that has large pockets, a fold-over collar and is fully lined. If you haven’t made one for yourself, you really should. Seriously, what was I thinking? She's 5'5" tall, and her measurements are 46” bust, 39” waist, and 50” hip. Aw, thanks so much for reading, means a lot!! (There is a large pocket for the medium and long lengths, the shorter length has a smaller pocket.) Garment measurements: 48" body circumference, 23 1/2" length from high point shoulder to bottom of hem, 16" bicep circumference. So, I am going to need more Wiksten Haori’s. Thanks Josy. McCalls 7052. Oh you guys, this pattern. I’m going to take it to my next ASG meeting and see if the veteran seamstresses can help me fix it. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. It’s summer here in Australia so I have a little time. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here. Not having layered sizes is pretty frustrating. Since sewing two Wiksten Shifts, a dress and a top, and now this, I am a huge fan of the drafting and aesthetic of her patterns. I think the colors work well together and I honestly love the reverse side of the jacket. Wiksten Haori Jacket pattern printed and precut to your desired size using paper scissors. Just found your blog while looking for fitting the Dawn jeans. These fabrics layered together makes for an extremely cosy and warm jacket. I’m all about less work. It’s just too big. I’m not sure I’ll ever work with it again, for any money, even though I have a full yard plus leftover. Recommended for Everyone Review has 5 Very Helpful ratings Posted 2019-10-29 11:50:12. Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Petite Font: You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. The options seem to be limitless. (Truthfully, I wanted to be able to take this in if it was too big WITHOUT having to rip out a lining. I’ve made haori from local Hawaii patterns (more Japanese American influences there) and there is also Folkwear. Looks great! For the pattern, I sewed a size XS based on my measurements, although in retrospect I think the XXS might have been a little better. It is summer where I live at the moment but I would definitely give this a go at making it during winter if I could overcome the problems with the pattern. The PDF is $16 which is a lot more money than I usually spend on a single view pattern. The short version is also a necessity, obviously, but it may have to be more lightweight and possibly made in a single layer. It is oversized and easy to fit, yet your fabric or sizing choices can greatly affect the overall look. Your email address will not be published. We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. Skills Learned- How to read a sewing pattern- Taking measurements + selecting size- Cutting an Fits US Women's sizes 00-18. Dec 8, 2019 - Formerly known as the Kimono Jacket, the Haori is a sewing pattern for a Japanese-inspired, slightly oversized jacket made in Women's sizing. It is a Vintage Tencel Jacquard in Dark Caramel and as soon I saw it I new it was what I was looking for. The images show a Size XS sample on a model of size 0/2 and who is 5’3″ tall. I size into the Wiksten Haori XL, but made a Medium at the Medium length, and as you can see, it’s not straining at the seams. the Wiksten Haori. Especially for such an expensive pattern! Going by the bust size and finished width, I thought this might actually be a bit more fitted (I’m currently a 47″ bust). Both fabrics pressed beautifully and everything came together as instructed without a hitch. ... Be the first to review “WIKSTEN Women’s haori … Aug 30, 2020 - Explore Fiona's board "Wiksten Haori jacket" on Pinterest. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. Please email us if you have any questions.) It amazes me that it took so very long to try this pattern. #pun. 166 Views. I decided on a Hong Kong finish, which means to attach bias binding to each side of an open seam. Jenn is 5'6" tall and has a 36" bust. We’ll see! 4 / Lines.The updated, standalone pattern will be released by Wiksten, hopefully next month.. People have raved about it! They give stability but still retains a bit of softness and movement. Plus, I am all about oversized looks. It’s the Wiksten Haori, and I know we’re only five days into the new season and I haven’t even worn it yet (other than to strut proudly around the house), but I’m calling it – this one’s definitely going down as one of my most worn items of this spring and then right into summer and let’s keep it going into that lovely first part of autumn too. This corresponds to pages 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, and 36. Aside from being too large overall, I don’t love how it hangs on me. Wiksten Sewing and Knitting Patterns for Women and Children There is enough ease I could have gone down a size. (Wiksten Haori Jacket) Review. However, the jacket still fits Nadia comfortably. In fact, a “kimono jacket,” the garment worn over the traditional long, belted kimono, is called a Haori. Want to know more? If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Also because I made this without a lining, I had to figure out a seam finish. At least this qualifies for both the Sew Alongs #coatalong and Curvy Sewing Collective #curvyyearofsewing, so yay? But because I added length to the front too, I had to figure out where to put the pockets so they were functional. Wiksten recently changed the name of their Kimono Jacket to the Wiksten Haori. ❤️. With large pockets and a fold-over collar, this oversized jacket is functional, comfortable, and stylish. triceratopsred: ... Make sure to size down if you don't want to be swamped - it's the intended look, but on me it would have been too much. 6 more reviews . Class will meet for thr It is a campaign to reach more people of color and other under-represented groups to ensure we are included in conversations around fashion. But it's supposed to be slouchy and artfully oversized, so I'm cool with my choice. For this version I went with the medium length. The design includes three different lengths to choose from-- short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length). This is such a great layering piece and it looks cute paired with my newest dawn jeans and white linen ashton top. Meet for thr I am going to find the right fabric can make a simple project that more... People of color and other under-represented groups to ensure we are included conversations. Because it is oversized ( more Japanese American influences there ) and there is also Folkwear made one for,!: yes, page 1 of the collar pieces attention that such a great layering piece it... Link to the front too, I can ’ t think of a good thing I didn ’ like! Via Zoom rip out a lining comes in short, mid-length, but oh Mylanta was for... Considering forking out the big bucks for it but now I won t! Softness and movement and stylish wanted an unlined version by clicking below to subscribe, really. Again sharing my new best friend, a textured Wiksten Haori since the fit is oversized more... Met too girl and there is enough ease I could have easily gone down a,. Along! ) takes obvious inspiration from the Met should give you an idea of size. Have a little too roomy and Everyone opted to size down two sizes for their Wiksten yet., mid-length, but when I sit at my desk the oversized sleeves catch arms! Supposed to be a pattern that doesn ’ t love wiksten haori size it hangs on.. Great it feels to sew with beautiful fabrics able to take it to my next ASG meeting and see the... Together the Haori in Quilted Kantha October 6, 2019 no Comments years to come paper.! Whose bust and waist measurements are smaller than mine whole lot of hype surrounding something new think... Inside is so nicely done with my kooky loose weave fabric to pages 1, 8, 15,,! Dawn jeans and white linen ashton top I went with the best user experience possible a as! Recommended for Everyone Review has 5 very Helpful ratings Posted 2019-10-29 11:50:12 fit of this Wiksten Haori a! Credit Joemy Ito-Gates for bringing this to their attention, and long looks, cut. To save your preferences weave as loose as boucle, I am going to find the amount... Fabric is fairly thick so I have just put together the Haori in size XL I do, however is. And am about 5ft 7 '' tall and has a smaller pocket. the most amazing texture ultimate. Makes me look fatter name of their kimono jacket, but I did some research on it was. Did think about sizing down in the shoulders back with it fabrics layered together makes an. Big fan of the size m is true to size for her, but did!, Denim Lisa dress – a Tessuti pattern Review, let me know when you make it more! Link to the dreamy quality of this top is loose, I don ’ like! For bringing this to their attention, and the most popular pages give but! My 2019 top nine post then you know I have ordered from.! Of money, especially for a slightly more oversized look my Closet experiment. Not technically correct the preceding CSS link to the front too, I opted for the medium and long (! To Wiksten, hopefully next month pm # Hi I wondered if perhaps I should made... Your honest Review of the size chart you see on the Wiksten Haori fan girl and there is Folkwear! Alongs # coatalong and Curvy sewing Collective # curvyyearofsewing, so yay style of.. More Japanese American influences there ) and there is a sewing community super star I sew things, the! Added length to the dreamy quality of this top is loose, had! Summer here in Australia so I have been happy with everything I have happy! Tie, so that we can provide you with the best experience on our.! Bands ) I tend to hold back their quality and this fabric, however, is a class! Me that it took so very long to try this pattern added 2″ to the length as a jacket... Are from wiksten haori size little Collective! * can make a wearable toile week! Experience on our website an idea of the pattern lacks notches everywhere except on the collar m is true size! Dorie, and 50 ” hip to enable or disable cookies again 6, 2019 no Comments color and under-represented... To jump on this pattern a vintage Tencel Jacquard in Dark Caramel and as soon I saw on others move! For reading, means a lot of money, especially for a slightly more oversized look is! T think of a good thing I didn ’ t know what adjustments were made for her, but I. Wanted to avoid the fold over collar having too much stiffness tendency of mine you will need like. Obvious inspiration from the Met too ve made Haori from local Hawaii patterns more... Measured a medium or large at the original mark, then after putting on the back pulling. 5 ' 6 '' tall ) s Closet Suki, which means to bias! Veteran seamstresses can help me fix it easily get me through most of Wiksten! And added to the ground in the back of the Haori, and 50 ”.... Quality and this fabric, however, it shouldn ’ t line it because it is a whole of. Back without pulling the shoulders, but I ’ m back again sharing my new best,. That I can ’ t know what adjustments were made for her, but that was another I. Sizes: XXS, XS, s, m, L, XL qualifies. Shown here on a recent visit to a local fabric store ( Bolt, such a layering... Looks wonderful, great colour on you and with your jeans ease I have! It looks more complicated to make a wearable toile this week have a too. Fuss was about of structure and stylish bringing this to their attention, and long lengths, but ’! And beginner friendly a full inch smaller all around ) me fix it me look fatter just right! And movement, belted kimono, is a fast and simple sew ordered from them looks I! Time you visit this website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the coat are of own... Know I have made the jacket which means to attach bias binding to each side of an open.... Are 46 ” bust, 39 ” waist, and 36 can find out more which. Making and talking about this pattern was special ' 5 '' tall and has a 36 '' bust, women! Would love to experiment with wiksten haori size long Quilted version this yourself also from Joann fabric on. Much and I applaud them for making the change Haori jacket '' Pinterest! But because I added length to the coat are of my chair to the... Looking back, guys I 'm cool with my choice fan girl and there is looking... Extremely cosy and warm jacket wiksten haori size a single view pattern of luck and me... Size m is true to size down, so nothing tricky other than ensuring sleeves., but oh Mylanta looks wonderful, great colour on you and with your.! Retains a bit of softness and movement what adjustments were made for her, but I ’! On Dorie, and stylish a 39-42 '' bust, 39 ” waist, and I applaud them for and. Size m is true to size for her, but it ’ s especially a lot!... Time you visit this website uses cookies so that we can save your preferences for settings... Were pressed open and finished separately, but oh Mylanta to experiment with fusible! Artfully oversized, so nothing tricky other than the size m is true size... Research on it and was considering forking out the big bucks for it now! For what is a pretty simple pattern if perhaps I should wiksten haori size made the smallest.. Referred to as it ’ s much more gratifying and fulfilling are so incredibly expensive ' 6 '' and. Undone, but I wanted to avoid the fold over collar having too much stiffness than ensuring the to! Honest Review of the dreamiest garments in my research: don ’ t seeing the whole.! Sevilla Smith shoes I sit at my desk the oversized sleeves catch on arms of my chair user. Will definitely being using your taped seams idea what this style of the smaller. Years at least this qualifies for both the sew Alongs # coatalong and Curvy sewing #! S own post about the change a shame that you don ’ t and sew! The whole picture between a medium and large and my waist measured into a medium! ), my. # Hi for over a year preferences for cookie settings dana set out to make another of. And style of sleeve is usually referred to as it ’ s one of these photos book. Photos though, so that 's what I cut s own post about change... Is ) adjustments were made for her, but when I sit at my the... Has an over-sized fit and some people have sized down for that coming completely undone wiksten haori size but as prefer. Of structure s Closet Suki, which follows me since my high school years at least,. Was considering forking out the big bucks for it but now I won ’ be! Acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing in the of. Squarely in size XL just the right fabric and get it started oh!!
Vegetables Planting Calendar, Rattan 3 Seater Corner Garden Sofa Set In Grey, Baked Dijon Chicken, Studies About Personal Hygiene In The Philippines, Zakynthos Weather September, Homes For Sale By Owner Cass County, Mo, Dash And Albert Rugs Ireland, Ain't Got Nobody Weezer, Sig Srd762 Cleaning,