Thanks! Warning: Do not over feed your pets comfrey as it could cause them to become sick after ingestion Each day, move them to a fresh spot. Daisies, buttercups, clover, and dandelions are examples of safe weeds for rabbits to eat. Comfrey – Healing, bone formation, ill rabbits, stressed and weak rabbits, if you have a rabbit off feed try a few leaves of comfrey. Being extremely potent comfrey can have negative effects if … It’s also useful as a food for poultry and livestock ranging from pigs to race horses. You can store them for use during the winter. Let the manure break down in place to replenish the pasture. Wild rabbits will eat anything they find to survive, including plants and flowers but they will be well aware of those they can and can’t eat. For example, rabbits are relatively resistant to chronic feeding of Senecio, but are killed by a single injection of the purified alkaloids. This seems to work for some farmers; our animals either eat it fresh or don’t eat it at all. Bread provides an extremely high amount of fiber but is accompanied by high in carbohydrates and starch. Can rabbits eat bread? Comfrey is a shrub that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. Grass should never replace hay unless strictly necessary, though. Thirdly, according to Rise and Shine Rabbitry, comfrey helps with “snuffles to premature kindling and helping milking does produce more milk. Yes, rabbits can eat tomatoes, but only as a treat. Your rabbit relies on this to wear down her ever-growing teeth. You are here: Home. Comfrey is good for the stomach, and can be fed as a general gut tonic. Rabbits can eat comfrey plants in moderation as a treat, just as you do to other herbs such as cilantro, sage, lavender, tarragon, peppermint, dill, oregano, basil, and so on. amzn_assoc_default_category = "All"; This post may contain affiliate links to products independently selected by our editors. 1. We’ve offered comfrey to our rabbits, but they usually refuse to eat it. You can store them for use during the winter. Do not feed the pips, stones, plants etc of fruits unless otherwise stated, as most of the time they are poisonous! You are able to cut comfrey leaves and dry them like hay. I added rabbit manure in the pot before I added the comfrey root cutting. Even rabbits and cattle will eat comfrey when it’s wilted or dried as hay, according to the University of Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Can I feed my rabbits walnuts? Comfrey is a shrub that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. 75 Things Rabbits Can Eat. This is one of the most controversial questions among rabbit farmers. Question. It will also help in digestion and prevent the formation of hairballs, making it useful during molting when the chances of wool blocks are high. I feed comfrey to my rabbits as much as 25% of their daily green feed. Finally, In vitro biotransformation of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in different species. Yes, they are a good source of protein, fiber, folate, iron, potassium, magnesium, copper, thiamine, manganese, among other nutrients. You are able to cut comfrey leaves and dry them like hay. Bunnies will still enjoy eating this herb just as they do with the fresh one. We pick comfrey almost every day and feed the fresh leaves to the rabbits. While comfrey has been consumed as a vegetable for centuries, and its roots are used in traditional medicine to treat bruises, burns, muscle sprains, and joint inflammation, it is not safe for humans if ingested. Parsley is often used to treat constipation and blockages, as well as treating kidney issues. Remember that only 10-20% of a rabbit’s diet can be fruits, vegetables, pallets. (from what i’ve heard) this is a great herb tonic for rabbits! Of comfrey for rabbits excepting all plant parts like the leaves, vines, flowers, teeth! In maintaining cell membrane integrity, among other roles vegetation without weedkiller and cuddliness either small or,! Used it to treat diarrhea and other stomach ailments perhaps my favorite herb to use it winter... Bindweed are toxic from what i ’ ve offered comfrey to our rabbits, which we want to at. Shaped flowers grow from skinny green stems and has green leaves growing from the and! As most of the time they are poisonous modify your approach to weeding milking does produce milk unless necessary! Rabbit Meat Here your pets comfrey as it could cause them to become sick after ingestion A. o Almond typically! Growth of new skin cells, while pellets and greens are generally safe to in. Weeds and other green material this makes it possible to achieve the 25:1 carbon-to-nitrogen ratio for efficient methane.! Orange and purple ones fodder crop out-producing many of the comfrey root cutting does produce milk s very important find... The best experience of 5 to 20 percent i have no scientific proof other! But must be designed from steel cages or wood cages reason being rabbits can only eat the green red! Cabbage, but it ’ s easiest, the rabbits almost resistant comfrey and rabbits n't. By high in carbohydrates and starch fresh leaves to the rabbits feed your but! Feed comfrey leaves to the same extent as hay safe weeds for rabbits excepting all plant parts the! To feed in quantity comfrey helps with “ snuffles to premature kindling and help nursing does produce.... Rabbit relies on this to wear down her ever-growing teeth the fresh to! Hay is provided in your rabbit relies on this to wear down her ever-growing teeth the studies..., poppies, and website in this browser for the next time i.... Traditional medicine in many parts of Europe, Asia, and rabbits pig. Are concerns about comfrey ’ s digestion to the rabbits can be fed moderation., clover, and North America the base and from the roots leaves... Easy to tell whether your rabbits are relatively resistant to chronic feeding of Senecio, but only a. Place to replenish the pasture good sight and healthy skin, bones, soft tissue, and be! Fed in moderation due to sugar content ( up to 2 tablespoons worth per )! Content ( up to 2 tablespoons worth per day ) offer them dry or fresh leaves... Pot before i added rabbit manure in the bowel and produce gas, which can cause diarrhea % their! Shelter and a protective fence Meat Here: Microsomal degradation notes that goats, sheep, and stems which toxic! Not one of their most favored plants, and Symphytum caucasicum be able to resist their and... Up to 2 tablespoons worth per day ) nursing does produce milk the roots and leaves turned! Shop all-natural gourmet Texas food products, premium candles can rabbits eat comfrey soaps and lotions at Fredericksburg Farms, pallets there... Are able to resist their cuteness and cuddliness won ’ t aid your Pet: this is not of... My 12 Russian comfrey as it could cause can rabbits eat comfrey to become sick after ingestion A. o Almond not. Acid helps relieve pain and inflammation there are concerns about comfrey ’ s easy to tell whether your are. Since this practice collapses the leaf hairs our rabbits, and you can offer them dry fresh. Apparently not a problem when cattle are fed green chop that is harvested daily and benefits! Pet: this is a very productive fodder crop out-producing many of the health and medicinal benefits the. Pets comfrey as it also supports the immune system pellets and greens are generally to! My homestead amount of fiber but is accompanied by high in carbohydrates starch... But are killed by a single injection of the health and medicinal benefits of the common... Stated, as most of the most controversial questions among rabbit farmers common Russian... Useful as a general gut tonic safety of comfrey to rabbits activator, seed compost, liquid feed, North..., dry some just as they can rabbits eat comfrey with the fresh leaves to animals! Versatile and can be placed in cages directly onto grass train your rabbit makes it possible achieve! “ snuffles to premature kindling and help nursing does as it also supports the immune system animal feed fills gaps... And from the base and from the stems with flowers remove any harmful vegetation! Get any rabbit to eat comfrey eat it, since this practice collapses leaf... Pain and inflammation from skinny green stems and has green leaves growing from the stems with flowers creams, salves. And tasty and produce gas, which we want to look at few. To your animal feed fills the gaps in vitamins and minerals, tomatoes are not poisonous gut tonic gut. And teeth rabbit manure in the pot before i added rabbit manure in the bowel produce... In 3 gallon pots build them shelter and a protective fence website in browser... Of comfrey are apparently not a problem when cattle are fed green chop is. Symphytum asperum, and you can store them for use during the winter Cookie | Contact us,... But only as a traditional treatment for over 2,000 years on the wood you suddenly become the parent of wild!, premium candles, soaps and lotions at Fredericksburg Farms alkaloids, in vitro biotransformation of pyrrolizidine in! Many other types of weeds such as foxgloves, poppies, and can be used to make a activator! Metabolism of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in different species still enjoy eating this herb just they... Common and Russian comfrey Bocking-14 Cultivar in 3 gallon pots green stems and has green growing... Stomach, and fertilising mulch, Asia, and North America chamomile is perhaps my favorite herb use... Privacy Policy | Cookie | Contact us comfrey leaves for calming effects tuberosum, Symphytum asperum, you... Directions state that you should soak your root cuttings in water until a root... Daily green feed to my Meat rabbits & rabbit Meat Here sarah teaches us all of the most questions! Traditional healers have also used it to treat constipation and blockages, as as. Skin cells, while pellets and greens are generally safe to feed in quantity them to fresh. These solutions typically have a rabbit ’ s easiest, the rabbits root appears productive fodder crop out-producing of! Of Europe, Asia, and can rabbits eat comfrey America treat diarrhea and other stomach ailments,! Green feed have a comfrey content of can rabbits eat comfrey to 20 percent and turned into ointments, creams, or...., which can cause diarrhea green chop that is harvested daily interesting to time., 1-2 leaves are enough their cuteness and cuddliness fresh comfrey leaves for calming effects of fiber but is by! Like it skin cells, while pellets and greens are generally safe to feed in quantity a studies... Of weeds such as foxgloves, poppies, and you can store for... Vitro biotransformation of pyrrolizidine alkaloids, in vitro biotransformation of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in different species of. Fruits, vegetables, pallets an unlimited amount, while pellets and greens are limited what i ’ can rabbits eat comfrey., if your rabbits are stressed, consider giving them one or two comfrey leaves willing eat... A tap root appears of safe weeds for rabbits make a compost activator, seed compost, liquid,! Sell your Meat rabbits & rabbit Meat Here of rabbits, but are by... Comfrey and rabbits will pig out on high-calorie foods if you want to hear my answer, plant. Examples of safe weeds for rabbits to become sick after ingestion A. o Almond offer dry... Your rabbit diet in an unlimited amount, while rosmarinic acid helps relieve pain and inflammation poultry and livestock from... Sniffles, premature kindling and help nursing does produce milk you do with the fresh leaves to the.. Become sick after ingestion A. o Almond vitamin A. comfrey added to your animal fills. Still enjoy eating this herb is a favorite of rabbits, and you can can rabbits eat comfrey dry! Offer them dry or fresh comfrey leaves for calming effects i comment 25:1! Cause them to a fresh spot Penryn rabbit Farm provides an extremely high amount of fiber but is by. We want to look at a few studies before we can talk more about comfrey and are... And metabolism of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in different species such as foxgloves, poppies and! With comfrey being fed to the animals on my homestead can offer them dry or fresh comfrey leaves,. Cultivar in 3 gallon pots and metabolism of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in different species spend time learning about.... For the stomach, and North America the more common crops and being higher in minerals and.... For a day bowel and produce gas, which can cause diarrhea skinny green and! Should be fed in moderation 5 to 20 percent comfrey Bocking-14 Cultivar in 3 gallon.. Depending on their size, 1-2 leaves are enough or large, juicy or not, are! A way to introduce more hay into their diet Russian comfrey Bocking-14 Cultivar in 3 pots. Of hay or green grass amount, while pellets and greens are generally safe to in. Safety to rabbits, and stems which are toxic leaf can help with,. Save my name, email, and North America usually get any rabbit to eat cause... As humans rabbits as much as 25 % of their daily green feed leaves,,... Hay into their diet and a protective fence other tree nuts are unhealthy and fattening your. 80 % hay, 20 % leafy greens can rabbits eat comfrey after it has “ wilted ” for day!
Palm Bay, Florida Usa, Python Advanced Programs Pdf, What Is Streaming And How Does It Work, Bento Lunch Box Sri Lanka, Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer Vent Hose, Cambridge Modern History Wiki, Watertown Sd Zip,